Cycling Accident Compensation Claims
Cycling is an enjoyable, healthy and cost effective way to travel, with more and more people taking to the roads for pleasure, fitness, or simply to get to and from work. However, the road can be a dangerous place for a cyclist, with inattentive drivers and poorly maintained roads.
Hudgell Solicitors is a company passionate about preventing injuries, but the increasing number of both vehicles and cyclists on the UK roads is resulting in more accidents and casualties each year.
Changes to the Highway Code
Cyclists are now second only to pedestrians in the new hierarchy of road users with more responsibility placed upon those in vehicles with the potential to cause most harm.
We also welcome the other rule changes, including cyclists traveling straight ahead being given priority over motorists at junctions, motorists being required to leave two meters of space when overtaking other road users, and the introduction of ‘Dutch Reach’, which requires drivers and passengers to use their hand furthest from the door to open it.
Cyclist enthusiast Tracy Stansfield from Hudgell Solicitors provides further information on the changes to the highway code and how these changes can save lives.
As members of The Association of Consumer Support Organisations, we support ACSO’s November 2021 report on Vulnerable Consumers and agree that following the recent Highway Code changes to introduce a hierarchy of road users, that now is the right time for a renewed consultation on a system of Presumed Liability, which it is hoped would give further protection and swifter access to justice for the most vulnerable road users, including cyclists.
Given our work and experience in supporting victims of road accidents, we understand the need to make cycling as accessible and as safe as possible to meet British Cycling’s aim of getting more people on their bikes.
Should you or a loved one be injured in a cycling accident which wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a cycling accident claim for compensation.
Our team of cycling accident compensation experts have vast experience and expertise in supporting clients through the claims process. We can offer expert advice not only on cycle accident compensation, but also on rehabilitation, and provision of access to specialist medical care and support services.
There’s also damage to your bike and your belongings which can be expensive to repair or replace.
Successful claims won by Hudgell Solicitors
Examples of our team supporting clients injured when cycling include:
- £325,000 settlement for a woman whose husband died after being hit by a car.
- £130,000 settlement to compensate a cyclist for his injuries when thrown from his bike after being hit by a careless taxi driver.
- £15,000 settlement for a cyclist who was forced off the road by an overtaking car in London
- £17,500 settlement for former BBC Radio producer and presenter Steve Redgrave who suffered broken collarbone when knocked off his bike on his way to work.
- £48,500 settlement for a client after police initially said CCTV footage had shown him to be 50% to blame for the accident with a HGV that left him needing five operations on his hand.
Comments from our cycling injury claims clients:
Hudgell Solicitors’ Ambassador
In the more serious injury cases we make full use of our large supportive network of former clients who are willing to act as mentors and buddies, offering the chance for those who have suffered an injury to speak to people who have been in the same position, and faced the same challenges and difficulties in life.
We also are acutely aware of how serious injuries can lead to fractured family relationships and have vast experience of working alongside dedicated case managers, specialists who spend time with the client and their families and help to smooth over any troubled waters, also establishing teams of specialist support to provide therapies and treatments.
Paul Spence suffered a serious brain injury in 2012 but has since recovered to establish his own charity and run a community-based brain recovery centre in Hull.
In his role as an ambassador for Hudgell Solicitors, he provides personal support to injured people and their families, alongside the advice of our legal specialists.
In this role Paul offers a real insight for brain injury victims and families into how he remained positive and rebuilt his life.
Paul said: “Darren is truly inspirational. He was completely paralysed on his left side, with no sight in his left eye and no longer able to walk and was told that there was not much hope for recovery. He uses he bikes to ride side-by-side with someone who handles the steering and braking.
Specialists in Cycling Accident Claims
If you’ve been injured in a cycling accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to claim compensation. Our specialist team of cycle accident solicitors will investigate the circumstances of your cycling accident fully and identify who was legally responsible for what happened to you, or your loved one, so you can be assured we will give you straightforward and honest advice so you know all of your options from the start. Our dedicated team have helped thousands of cyclists get the cycle accident compensation they deserve to get their lives moving again.
- Our experienced cycle accident lawyers will make a claim on your behalf, and are focused on rehabilitation and making sure that you make the best possible recovery.
- We will collect information on your financial losses, from the cost of treatments to travel costs, loss of earnings or anything else that has left you out of pocket, making finances one less thing to worry about.
- We pride ourselves on cutting through the legal jargon to give you regular updates in plain English, taking the worry and hassle out of making a claim.
How to Make a Cycling Accident Claim
Step 1: Assessing your bike accident claim and gathering information
The cycling accident claim process starts with our expert cycle accident solicitors working closely with you to carefully assess the circumstances and details of your accident. They will establish who the liability lies with, and contact any witnesses or obtain police reports, if necessary, to help support your claim and build up a case.
Step 2: Assessing your medical, rehabilitation, or ongoing support needs
Ensuring you get the treatment and support you need after your cycling accident is one of the most important parts of the process. We will organise medical assessments with independent experts who can assess your injuries and determine the best care and treatment. We also liaise with the insurer of the responsible party to make sure that any ongoing medical support or rehabilitation is provided as soon as possible.
Part of this is getting the compensation you deserve to ensure medical costs are fully covered, but it’s also about getting you the ongoing support you need to get your life back on track.
Step 3: Working out cycle accident compensation
After all the details and circumstances of your cycling accident have been established, we will work to consider the level of compensation we will seek on your behalf. This will cover everything including medical costs, ongoing rehabilitation, damage to your bike, and loss of earnings, with the aim of getting you the money you deserve to give you financial stability now and going forward.
We put this figure to the opposing party, who will then either agree to the financial settlement or come back with an offer of their own. If an agreement can’t be reached, then the case may be taken to court for a judge to decide on what cycle accident compensation should be awarded. No matter what happens with this process, we’re with you every step of the way, working on your behalf to get what you deserve.
Step 4: Concluding the cycling accident claim
The last stage of the process is getting the compensation sum if your case has been successful. While we always want this outcome, remember that if you don’t win you won’t have to pay a penny as we handle claims on a no win no fee basis.
Our Cycling Accident Experts
"Government’s ‘cycling and walking revolution’ has potential to prevent thousands of serious accidents each year"Read Full Story
"Physiotherapy and compensation for cyclist who suffered broken wrist when hit by car"Read Full Story
"£48,500 compensation for injured cyclist despite being partly to blame for serious accident with HGV"Read Full Story
- If your cycling accident took place within the last three years, and was caused by a negligent driver or some other factor that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a claim.
- Once you get in touch with our team of cycle accident lawyers, they will be able to assess your case and see if it would be possible to make a claim.
- You can also make a bike accident claim on behalf of a loved one if they’ve been injured in a cycling accident.
- There are no standard amounts for compensation pay-outs, and it’s all down to the specific circumstances of your cycling accident claim.
- The amount that could be awarded depends on many different factors, from the nature of your injuries to the financial costs of medical care and loss of income.
- A successful compensation claim will take into account any pain and suffering as a result of your cycling accident, but can also help cover the cost of any treatment, physiotherapy and rehabilitation support you may need to get you back to good health.
- Our expert cycle accident solicitors will go over every detail of your case to ensure the amount asked for provides fair compensation.
- As well as your injuries, other factors that will be taken into account include:
- Current and ongoing medical care
- The cost of adapting your home as a result of long-lasting injury
- Damage or replacement of your bicycle or other personal belongings
- Lost income because of absence from work or unemployment because of your injuries
- Our specialist team of cycling accident solicitors will investigate the circumstances of your cycling accident fully and identify who was legally responsible for what happened to you, or your loved one.
- We are committed to righting wrongs, so you can be assured that we will give you straightforward and honest advice, so that you know all of your options from the very start.
- You can call our team for free advice today, or use our contact form to request a call back and one of our cycling accident solicitors will be in touch.
- All cycling accident cases taken on by Hudgell Solicitors are handled on a no win no fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay any money up front and there will be no financial risk if your case is unsuccessful.
- If your case is successful, you will only be expected to pay a contribution to your solicitor’s fees once the case has been resolved. The costs paid are usually a percentage of the compensation awarded and will be agreed before your case is carried out.
- There’s absolutely no risk involved in inquiring about your position, or your cycling accident claim, so it pays to speak with an expert.