Road Traffic Accident FAQs

If you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident you may have a number of questions around what the term ‘road traffic accident’ covers?

With a wealth of experience in various types of personal injury claims, many of our road traffic accident lawyers and solicitors specialise in certain areas.

Our specialists have previously secured six and seven-figure compensation settlements and helped people after all sorts of traffic accidents.

These include:

Car accident claims – If you’ve been injured in a car crash, we have the knowledge and experience to help recover what’s owed to you.

Motorcycle accident claims – These incidents can be severe, and are often disputed by any other parties involved. We can help establish your situation and move forward towards resolving the road accident claim.

Trust Pilot
trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars


Cycling accident claims – Suffering a bike accident injury is a terrible experience – and establishing liability can be tricky. Our expert road traffic accident solicitors regularly help cyclists regain their losses and move forward with their lives.

Pedestrian accident claims – Pedestrians are significantly more vulnerable than motorists. This puts you at a higher risk of suffering from a severe injury when an accident occurs while walking along or crossing the road. Speaking with our solicitors about what you can do in the aftermath is a good start to getting your life back on track.

Passenger claims – Sometimes you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you’ve been a passenger in an accident, it’s possible that you could seek compensation for a road traffic accident, regardless of the severity of your injuries.

Public transport claims – Public transport in the UK is rigorously regulated, and the drivers that are employed for the job are highly trained. Sometimes, however, things can go wrong. If you’ve been hurt whilst traveling on the bus, train or tram, you might be owed compensation.

Claims against uninsured motorists – Being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver can be a worrying experience, as can being unable to trace the other party in an accident. We can take the worry out of the claim and let you feel comfortable and secure during the process.

Whiplash claims – Whiplash is a common injury sustained in accidents involving sudden stops and sharp movements. If you think you’ve developed whiplash from a car crash, you may be able to seek legal support to recover any costs owed to you for things such as time needed off work.

What should I do if I have a road traffic accident?

Being involved in a car crash or an accident on the road can be a difficult time for all those involved.

The following guide will make the road accident claims process easier, so always try to do the following if possible;

  • Share all of your details and information with the other party – including your name, address, phone number, car registration and insurance details.
  • Take as many photos of the accident as possible – this will provide exact details of any collision, the position in the road and the exact time and date.
  • Make a note of the car’s owner in case they were not the ones driving.
  • Write down the model of the other car or cars involved, including the year, colour, registration details and exact damage incurred.
  • Try to avoid discussing the accident or key details like who was in the wrong.
  • Speak to any witnesses if possible and get their contact details.
  • File an accident report to the local police force in case you end up having any future disagreements with the other parties involved.
  • Get in touch with your own insurance company as soon as possible and relay as many details of the incident to them as you can.

How do I make a compensation claim?

Claiming compensation for road traffic accidents can be a complicated process. But by utilising our expertise, we’ll help to make it as smooth and simple as possible.

Having been awarded a Lexcel Accreditation from The Law Society, we are recommended as a leading firm in The Legal 500’s 2016 edition.

We are also accredited by APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers), meaning you can feel confident in our ability to deal with road accident claims effectively.

If you want to deal with claims specialists who are dedicated to providing the best service at the highest standard – call us today and speak with one of our road traffic accident lawyers.

How long after an accident should I make a claim?

Time limits do apply to RTA claims, but sometimes they vary. Usually you have three years from the date of the accident to put forward your claim – which is why speaking to one of our road traffic accident solicitors today can make all the difference.

Get in touch now to get your claim started or, alternatively, use our contact form to request a call back and one of our RTA solicitors will be in touch shortly.

What other circumstances may surround an accident?

Road accidents can happen for any number of reasons. To make a successful road traffic accident compensation claim, it is our job to prove the person you are making the claim against was at fault and in the wrong. Listed below are some of the causes of road accidents:

Negligence: From mobile phone use, eating, drinking or changing music to being impaired by alcohol or drug use.

Poor road maintenance: Poor construction, road signs and potholes

Recklessness: Speeding, driving with no concern for traffic, failing to pay attention to signs and distractions in and outside of the car can lead to road accidents.

Vehicle malfunction: Common equipment failure includes things like brakes, steering malfunction and poor tyre traction.

Weather conditions: Snow, rain and ice can all cause RTAs.

Our experts

Vicky Houghton

Solicitor, Personal Injury

Sarah Kidd

Solicitor, Personal Injury