Claims Against Uninsured Or Untraced Motorists
If you’ve been hit by an uninsured driver, or someone who failed to stop following an accident, you may be entitled to make a road traffic accident or personal injury claim. Our expert solicitors can help secure the compensation you need to cover the cost of medical treatment and loss of earnings, so you won’t be left out of pocket by an uninsured or hit and run motorist.
Being in a road accident can be traumatic, especially if you or a loved one suffers serious injury. However, the experience is made much worse if the driver responsible fails to stop, or is unable to give details of their car insurance provider — leaving you with no means on which to make a claim for the injuries sustained.
Fortunately, there is a way to make a claim against an uninsured driver, or someone who fails to stop at the scene — and that’s through the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB). Established in 1946, the MIB is a non-profit organisation funded by UK insurers which offers compensation to innocent victims involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver. Whether you were a driver, a passenger, a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian, you may be able to claim compensation against an uninsured motorist, or a hit and run suspect, via the MIB.
At Hudgell Solicitors, we offer expert legal representation for those wishing to claim uninsured driver accident compensation. Our experienced road traffic accident solicitors will make a claim to the MIB on your behalf, securing maximum compensation for the damages and injuries you’ve suffered.
To receive free and impartial advice about the circumstances of your uninsured driver claim, get in touch today. Any delay could invalidate a claim, so call us now to begin the process.
Simply call us on
0148 278 7771 for free advice
Uninsured driver claims — What you need to know
If you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, the process of claiming compensation is much different than a standard road traffic accident claim. To help you understand the claims process for uninsured drivers, we have outlined some useful information below:
- If the car you are involved in an accident with is identified by the police as stolen, it is at the insurance company’s discretion as to whether they deal with the claim.
- If the car you are involved in an accident with is insured for a person who was not driving at the time, it is at the insurance company’s discretion as to whether they deal with the claim.
- If there is no policy in place, or if the insurance company refuses to pay out, a claim can still be made through the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB), which deals with claims involving uninsured or untraced drivers.
While it’s possible to make a claim through the MIB as an independent party, we’d always recommend seeking legal representation to benefit from expert guidance and support throughout the complex claims process. Our personal injury lawyers will make sure your rights are not ignored, helping you get a fair settlement for the damages suffered.
What to do after being in an accident with an uninsured driver
After you’ve been in an accident, it can be devastating to discover that the other party doesn’t have insurance — leaving you at a loss as to how to cover the cost of ongoing medical expenses and any loss of earnings you’ve incurred as a result of having to take time off work. There are, however, steps you can take to guarantee a successful uninsured driver claim:
- Immediately after the accident, photograph the scene and make a record of the responsible party’s name, address, and vehicle registration number. If there are any witnesses, ask for their contact information in case they’re required to support your claim later in the process.
- Report the incident to the police as soon as possible, and obtain the police reference or log number. In cases where injury has occurred or the other driver has been unable to provide details of their insurance provider, you should report the accident within 14 days. For claims involving damage to property (e.g. your vehicle) you should report the incident within 5 days.
- If you’ve suffered injury, seek medical attention. GP or hospital records form a crucial part of the MIB claims process, helping to support your claim and set the appropriate level of compensation.
- Get in touch with our expert solicitors for a free, no obligation discussion about your circumstances. We’ll offer legal expertise to help you decide whether to make a claim, before supporting you through the complex process, fighting on your behalf to secure the highest possible compensation.
How to make a claim against an untraced motorist
Being involved in a hit and run road traffic accident can be a frightening experience — and it can also be very frustrating. When a driver leaves the scene of a crash, they’re classed as an ‘untraced’ motorist because their details (name, address, vehicle registration) are unknown. This can make it very difficult to claim compensation, given that the burden lies on the claimant to prove that the hit and run driver was solely responsible for the accident.
With the help of our expert solicitors, however, you can make a claim against an untraced motorist through the MIB, securing compensation for damages sustained. To help support your case, you should do the following directly after the incident:
- Collect as much evidence as you can about what happened at the scene, including photographs, contact details of any witnesses, and a description of the driver and their vehicle. The more information you can gather, the stronger your case will be when making a claim against a hit and run driver.
- Inform the police as soon as possible about the details of the crash, so that it’s fresh in your mind. Given that the driver fled the scene, it’s highly likely that the car was stolen or uninsured, so it’s vital you pass information about the incident to the police as soon as possible. And don’t forget to obtain a police reference or log number so information about your case can be accessed easily.
- Inform your insurance company of the accident. If the police discover the identity of the driver and find out that the car was stolen, your insurance provider may be able to trace the other party’s insurer. They will also be able to access the Motor Insurance Database, which could help to identify the driver.
- In the event of personal injury, get medical help from your GP or a local hospital. The MIB will assess your medical records when establishing the severity of your injuries, so it’s vital that you seek medical attention after the accident.
- Get in touch with us and we’ll provide expert legal representation on a no win no fee basis. Our experienced solicitors will file an untraced driver claim on your behalf, helping you to negotiate the complex claims process whilst fighting for the highest settlement sum.
We are here to help you
At Hudgell Solicitors, we’ve helped thousands of innocent motorists get justice after being hit by an uninsured or untraced driver. Working closely with the police and the MIB, we’ll handle the complete claims process, helping you understand your rights whilst working to achieve maximum compensation for your claim.
We are accredited by APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers) and MASS (Motor Accidents Solicitors Society), so you can be confident that your uninsured driver claim is in experienced hands. Our dedicated team will ensure your claim is not held up, and will keep you informed of the progress at regular intervals. We understand that you and your family need advice and financial support as quickly as possible, so you can get back to normality following a traumatic accident.
For free legal advice about making a claim against an uninsured driver, call us today or visit our claim online page.
Simply call us on
0148 278 7771 for free advice
No win no fee
- personal insurance cover so there’s no financial risk to you in pursuing a claim
- whatever the outcome of your case, you won’t have to pay a penny (provided that you fully assist us with your claim) other than an agreed percentage of your damages
What Our Clients Think
I would recommend this company to …
"I would recommend this company to anyone very helpful and quick they kept me up… "
Impeccable service and results
"Impeccable service and results, very informative & helpful, thank you for everything!"
Professional and helpful service
"Found the service and advice from my contact at Hudgell to be very professional and… "
1st class service …
"I can not fault them kepted me up to date with what was going on… "
Thank you very much for your help with …
"Thank you very much for your help with sorting my case against London Police. Very… "
I found Hudgell Solicitors to be absolutel professionals
"I found Hudgell Solicitors to be professional from start to finish, helpful, approachable and honest… "
genuine caring company honest and …
"genuine caring company honest and sincere I would recommend them highly"
Very happy with the fast service I have …
"Very happy with the fast service I have received would 100% recommend and use again"
i must say they have handled my case
"i must say they have handled my case, amazingly well!!!. i would very much recommend… "
After starting my case with rapid …
"After starting my case with rapid solicitors, Hudgell took over the company, there was minimal… "
My claim looked like it was going to be …
"My claim looked like it was going to be dragged out and the other party… "
Great from start to finish.
"Great from start to finish. The staff are Very friendly professional and helpful and kept… "
We have recently used Hudgell …for a negligence claim
"We have recently used Hudgell Solicitors for a negligence claim.The way that dealt with a… "
Extremely professional and efficient
"Extremely professional and efficient. Every effort was made to guide us through the process and… "
Good result although process was a …
"Good result although process was a little long winded considering the other party was totally… "
Ihad the need to use a solicitor i had …
"Ihad the need to use a solicitor i had never heard of HUDGELL SOLICITORS at… "
I am satisfied,profesional service ,I …
"I am satisfied,profesional service ,I recommend to everyone."
Very good polite and fast service
"Very good polite and fast service"
Hudgell's did a good job
"Nasreen did a good job and Hudgell's were great throughout"
Rated 9.2 out of 10 based on 313 reviews