At Hudgell Solicitors we place rehabilitation at the heart of our work, a commitment which is vital in supporting people following brain injury to make the best possible recovery.
We recognise no amount of compensation can ever turn back the clock in cases of such as those involving traumatic brain injury, and that is why we not only focus on securing the best possible damages settlement for clients at all times, but also ensure our expertise secures clients access to the best treatment and ongoing support.
Our goal at all times is clear, to help the people we support get back to the best possible health and as normal a lifestyle as quickly as possible.
This includes seeking early or interim compensation payments to pay for medical treatment, counselling and rehabilitation, to cover bills when people are left unable to work for long periods, or left unable to work again, and to pay for any adaptations needed at home.
This is particularly important when it comes to our brain injury rehabilitation programme.
A Personal Support Package is put in place for all clients, ensuring that from the moment their claim begins, the client and their families are taken care of by a specially assigned lawyer who is available to talk to them at any time.
Support is tailored to fit each client’s own individual specific needs, with a dedicated legal team, including a number of specialists in the specific area of their claim, assigned to them to ensure support and advice is available at all times.
How Hudgell Solicitors will help you and your loved ones following a traumatic brain injury
Our senior qualified lawyers each have over 25 years of experience of supporting families both in the immediate aftermath of traumatic brain injury, and in guiding them throughout a long-term path through rehabilitation well beyond the legal claim.
Some of our senior lawyers who manage brain injury claims and oversee brain rehabilitation programmes have worked within the NHS themselves before commencing their legal career.
All are skilled in helping families from the earliest hospital bedside visit through to discharge and when back home, where support is arranged until it is no longer required.
Of course, some of our clients have a lifetime of needs following their injury and we do not settle legal claims without ensuring provision is made for those.
Each personal situation is as different as the family who has suffered it. We promise you a personalised support package which will be aligned to national codes of best practice with regards to brain injury rehabilitation.
Some of our clients have other injuries too, like needing the permanent use of a wheelchair.
Our rehabilitation plans for those separate physical injuries are set out in more detail on our spinal cord rehabilitation page.
As part of your rehabilitation after brain injury, your package of support will be specifically tailored to your needs.
When represented by us, brain injury victims often receive the following support;
Whilst in hospital immediately following injury:
- Initial support for loved ones – We will carry out investigations with third-party insurers to secure funds where ever possible for help with things such as family travel expenses to and from the hospital, and where necessary local accommodation for family members to stay close to their loved one. Families with children may need funding for emergency childcare cover, which we can also arrange.
- Help securing the best possible treatment – Our solicitors will liaise with clinicians, if requested, to identify whether an alternative and more specialist hospital treatment centre is desirable. (Not all of our clients with serious brain injury are taken to the most appropriate hospital for medium term care and rehabilitation.)
- Financial assistance – Your lawyer will correspond with any workplace or mortgage providers to try and ensure the injured person’s family is not put into any immediate financial difficulty due to the injuries suffered and their inability to work.
- Counselling for individual and family – We’ll provide details and contacts for any relevant welfare benefits available and also counselling services, where needed, for all family members trying to come to terms with what has happened.
- Providing a ‘buddy’ who has been through similar injuries – You will be offered the chance to meet with someone who has suffered a similar brain injury and has already been through recovery. They can help brain injured people and families work through things in a way that only someone who has suffered the same injury is able to (this is our buddy support programme)
- Appointing a case manager to provide tailored support – Should the defendant admit liability, we’ll arrange the appointment of a privately-funded and professional clinical case manager who can coordinate everything that you need on a practical level.
When planning your discharge home after a traumatic brain injury:
We know from our experience that returning home from hospital following a brain injury can be a really anxious time for both the victims and their families.
Mixed with the excitement of being reunited at home, there is often also a fear and apprehension about not having clinicians on hand, and integrating back into normal day to day life.
Some people, sadly, are unable to ever return fully back home and we offer a separate package to find a permanent residential placement.
However, the vast majority of our brain injury rehabilitation clients can go home – and our support usually includes some or all of the following:
- Ensuring support meets your needs – We’ll arrange a meeting with the hospital multidisciplinary team that has been arranging your inpatient care to ensure there is a full understanding of your ongoing needs. Either one of our solicitors or an appointed clinical case manager can attend this meeting.
- Home assessments and adaptations – An assessment of your home can be carried out to identify whether any special aids or adaptations are required, at least for the initial period, to minimise the difficulties faced when moving back home.
- ‘Buddy’ support – Ongoing “buddy” support with one of our ‘ambassadors’ who has themselves already been through brain injury rehabilitation following their recovery and faced the physical and psychological challenges.
- Private therapy and support – Discussing and arranging any additional private therapies that may be necessary, if there is inadequate NHS provision in your locality. Discussing and arranging any additional private support that may be necessary if there is inadequate social services provision either in time for discharge, or at all, such as help with personal care regimes.
Planning your reintegration back into community living after a brain injury
Depending on the nature of the brain injury suffered, the pathway to maximum possible recovery can be a long one spanning several years.
We know that the sooner someone is able to access appropriate cognitive rehabilitation support, the easier their recovery pathway will be.
It is therefore of utmost importance to us that we offer proactive support all the way through your recovery, subject to having sufficient access to funds.
We will be tough and proactive in negotiation and litigation where necessary on your behalf to secure the funding required and ensure we can plan and provide the very best programme of brain injury rehabilitation.
Hudgell Solicitors are also especially proud of our partnership with the charity Paul For Brain Recovery, with founder Paul Spence our official ambassador.
Brain injury survivor Paul made a remarkable recovery himself and now helps others through a unique, free community-based support service.
In his role as our ambassador, Paul provides vital personal support to injured people and their families alongside the legal help of our legal specialists.
Paul will travel to hospital bedsides and homes to offer practical support at difficult times, offering a real insight for brain injury victims and families into how he remained positive and rebuilt his life.
If you’re on our brain injury rehabilitation programme, the help we facilitate can include:
- Long-term clinical care – Ensuring you have adequate long-term clinical care, where necessary, and which most likely will need to be funded privately due to restrictions on the NHS budget.
- Financial support – Arranging support with managing your personal financial affairs, where needed, to ensure money you receive through your claim will last for your ongoing needs. This may involve setting up a personal injury trust to safeguard your continuing receipt of welfare benefits. In more serious cases a financial Deputy may be appointed to safeguard your money through the Court of Protection.
- Rehabilitation towards recovery – Help to access specialist vocational rehabilitation provision which will assist you in taking steps to return to meaningful employment or engagement in other forms of activity, such as new personal interests, to maximise quality of life each day.
- Home help – Arranging personal help at home to assist with ongoing levels of fatigue, including ‘assistive technologies’ experts who can help you select IT to minimise some effects of ongoing problems such as memory and organisation
- Family support – Ensuring all family members are given the help and understanding they need to cope with any lasting changes in both the injured person’s personality and their levels of endurance.
- Assisting your return to work – Speaking with your employers to explore the possibilities of either adapting your old role or finding a new one, or the possibility of a phased return to work. Following a brain injury, many people need to find a new occupation and we engage specialists who can help with this career planning as well as assist you in implementing it and achieving your goals.
- Identifying new activities – Support in identifying new activities to participate in – some of our clients have been assisted to take up new forms of sport, or enjoyment of music and the arts as well as new hobbies and other activities.
- Accessing charity support – We can put you in touch with local charities and support groups to widen your network of local people who may be in a similar situation to yourself and able to help you. We are members of The Brain Injury Group, a network of specialist brain injury solicitors and support services for brain-injured people and their families. We are also members of Headway, a registered charity set up to give help and support to people affected by brain injury.
Hudgell Solicitors – A complete brain injury rehabilitation and claims service
Unlike many law firms, Hudgell Solicitors only conduct personal injury and clinical negligence cases, meaning we can invest 100 per cent of our time and effort into providing a first-class client experience for victims of accident and negligence.
This is why independent customer reviews show constant client satisfaction scores in excess of 9/10, with our teams keeping good our company pledge of “seeing the person, not just the claim”.
Our continuing success in being nominated for many leading industry awards demonstrates we remain at the forefront of providing client excellence for injured people
In 2016, the business appointed nationwide Rehab champion Amanda Stevens as Group Head of Legal Practice with responsibility for developing the firm’s rehabilitation strategy further still.
A former hospital manager and a brain injury accredited lawyer, Amanda was also a founding Director of the UK Rehabilitation Council, leading cross-industry negotiations for the National Rehabilitation Code of 2015, which has to be considered by all lawyers and insurers under court claims protocol.
Amanda has been working with the rest of the team to implement additional non-legal support for families so that a holistic package can be offered when a claim is commenced.
Looking to see if you're eligible?
Get in touch for free legal advice
Call today to speak to an expert
What Our Clients Think
Very professional helpful and very…
"Very professional helpful and very friendly ."
Very happy with the fast service…
"Very happy with the fast service provided by Lauren at this firm. Always there to… "
Made it very easy
"Made it very easy"
Really good service!
"Really good service!"
"Very good experience with this firm and my excellent lawyer, definitely a firm I will… "
Highly recommended,very helpful and…
"Highly recommended,very helpful and good customer service, they are a company that really care and… "
Rebecca Cone looked after my claim and…
"Rebecca Cone looked after my claim and I would like to say that she was… "
"Hudgell Solicitors. Was very helpful in dealing with my case. With the road accident I… "
Hudgell Solicitors dealt with our dental negligence claim
"Hudgell Solicitors dealt with our claim very professionally, keeping us up to date at every… "
was very good and deal with my case
"was very good and deal with my case"
Amazing service, would definitely recommend 😊
"Amazing service in all aspects of my case and very understanding of the situation. Made… "
Excellent service would use again
"Excellent service would use again"
"Sam Thompson provided an excellent professional service in my medical negligence claim. Hudgell's kept me… "
Good efficient service by Sara Kidd
"Good efficient service by Sara Kidd. Thank you."
1st class service
"Excellent service throughout the process. Always kept me informed of developments by phone or post.… "
Hudgells solicitors a sure win
"I would certainly recommend hudgells solicitors to anyone wanting to file a claim for medical/dental… "
I would definitely recommend Hudgell …
"I would definitely recommend Hudgell Solicitors to family and friends. My family”s whole experience from… "
I have found the service to be Excellent
"I have found the service to be excellent, always return calls & emails promptly &… "
Rated 9.3 out of 10 based on 412 reviews