Corporate Services Solicitor
John joined Hudgells in November 2020 in the role of Corporate Services Solicitor.
In particular, John works closely with CEO Rachel Di Clemente and the senior management team to support and deliver strategic input and insights on a range of corporate and legal work streams.
He is also the SRA Training Principal for the firm, oversees the training of the firm’s trainee solicitors, and leads on the firm-wide Training and Supervision Committee at Hudgells.
John has worked in the legal industry since 2009 in a variety of roles and qualified as a solicitor in March 2017 following a training contract with Minster Law. During his formal solicitor training contract at Minster Law, John was seconded to the Operations Executive Team. He therefore has experience as a contributing member of senior executive committees including trading, risk and quality and has experience in presenting papers at executive level and developing trading centre and operational plans and strategies.
John is Vice Chair of the Law Society’s national Civil Litigation Section Committee, helping to promote best practice and procedure for the estimated 15,000 solicitors working in civil litigation and dispute resolution. In this role, he has chaired many live events for the Law Society on such topics as Part 36 of the Civil Procedure Rules, the ‘Whiplash Reforms’ and soft skills for litigators.
As a fee earning solicitor, his previous experience included handling a case load of predominantly serious injury claims including RTA, EL, PL and OL claims with individual damages valuations up to £300,000, as well as assisting on claims up to and in excess of £1m. He also has experience handling a small number of general civil litigation cases and has won a breach of contract and misrepresentation claim at trial.
I work hard to continuously expand my knowledge of the industry, to grow my professional profile, develop my skills and make mutually beneficial relationships with peers and stakeholders. This ethos feeds in to both my role at Hudgells as well as my Law Society role, which are mutually beneficial.
My particular interests include:
- Horizon scanning/PESTEL analysis
- Industry insight and knowledge
- Business strategy
- Regulatory compliance & change
- Risk management
- The online court pilots & digital transformation of the courts
- Civil procedure best practice & change
- Technical case law developments
- PR, reputation, digital marketing & lobbying
In the dynamic, ever-changing arena of civil litigation, I am a firm believer that knowledge and insight is key to keep pace with developments inside or outside of the industry that impact our areas of practice and that strategic advantage is obtained from scanning the horizon.
Outside of work, I enjoy travelling, hiking and running and football.
Career, qualifications, memberships and commendations
- Graduated from Newcastle University with an LLB (Honours) degree in 2008
- Completed the Legal Practice Course at the then titled College of Law (now University of Law), achieving a Distinction in 2009.
- Winner of the Minster Law 2019 ‘Courageous’ Award – recognised for his business contribution.
- Nominated by Minster Law for Junior Lawyer of the Year at the Law Society Excellence awards 2019.
- Praised by Peter Kinch of Kinch Robinson for “clever use of the CPR”
- Highly commended by His Honour Judge Butler sitting at Preston County Court for his thoroughness and the quality of his litigation work.
- Praised by His Honour Judge Timothy Lamb QC sitting at Central London County Court: “I would like to applaud you Mr Cuss for your very pragmatic approach to this litigation.”
- 100% 5* Trust Pilot reviews maintained from prior fee earning work.