Head of Court of Protection Services
Eve specialises in Mental Capacity Law and Court of Protection work and acts as a Professional Deputy, Attorney and Trustee and previously headed up the personal tax, trusts and probate team at Harrison Drury Solicitors.
She has also worked on national Deputy teams at Linder Myers and Foot Anstey.
Eve has been managing the affairs of those that do not have the capacity to manage their own affairs through the Court of Protection for more than 10 years.
Eve is experienced at managing the affairs of children and adults that have lost capacity through acquired brain injury and also injury at birth.
She also deals with capacity loss through age related brain conditions and learning disabilities.
She is experienced at working closely with case managers, therapists, support workers, financial advisers and families to manage large compensation awards.
Eve works closely with our clinical negligence and personal injury teams at Hudgell Solicitors to provide a seamless service post injury.
My work is about solving problems and getting families back to as normal life as possible. It can be an extremely daunting situation for somebody to find themselves in a position whereby they are responsible for managing the finances, or decisions relating to health, for somebody who they love who is unable to do so themselves.
I specialise in assisting where there are difficult family dynamic.
In terms of my work at Hudgell Solicitors, my first role is to ensure that those families who our lawyers do secure significant damages settlements for, in cases involving lack of mental capacity, that I am there to support them beyond the legal case and to ensure they make the right decisions for all, and for the right reasons.
It is important that I fully understand my clients, and their families, and that they also understand the role that I am instructed to play.
Added to that, my expertise as a Professional Deputy, Attorney, is something we are able to offer to law firms like ourselves, as well as other organisations and charities which come into contact with families affected by somebody no longer being able to look after their own affairs.
I regularly act for clients with settlements in excess of 10 million to manage their lifetime property and affairs. I act for clients who have suffered birth and brain injuries.
- – managing birth injury settlement of 10 million for client with cerebral palsy.
- – managing acquired brain injury settlement of 5.2 million for client injured in the course of his employment
- – secured approval of a gift of an incapacitated clients funds from the Court of Protection to permit a family business to continue running after a director and member of the family lost capacity.
- – obtained a Statutory Will for a child with a birth injury when she reached the age of eighteen to ensure half of her estate would not pass to her father on her death after he abandoned the family at birth.
Career, qualifications and memberships
- Law LLB
- Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- Member of Professional Deputies Forum, Solicitors for the Elderly and the Private Client Section.
- Listed in Legal 500 2020 as a Recommended Lawyer, testimonial quoted ‘Eve Carter is an excellent lawyer’