A man who cares full time for his disabled wife and son has received over £1,000 compensation after his dream holiday turned into a nightmare which left him fearing for his life. Mr Binns had saved up for the all-inclusive holiday which he thought would provide him withwell-earned respite from round-the-clock care for his wife, who suffers from epilepsy, and his teenage son who has learning difficulties.42-year-old Colin Binns, of Cleethorpes, spent two days in a hospital isolation unit after being struck down with severe food poisoning whilst in the Turkish resort of Hisaronu.
A man who cares full time for his disabled wife and son has received over £1,000 compensation after his dream holiday turned into a nightmare which left him fearing for his life.
Mr Binns had saved up for the all-inclusive holiday which he thought would provide him withwell-earned respite from round-the-clock care for his wife, who suffers from epilepsy, and his teenage son who has learning difficulties.42-year-old Colin Binns, of Cleethorpes, spent two days in a hospital isolation unit after being struck down with severe food poisoning whilst in the Turkish resort of Hisaronu.
But his dreams were shattered as soon as he arrived in the popular holiday resort to witness what he described as shabby accommodation with poor facilities and serving “vile, grotty, re-heated food”.
Then just days before he and his family and friends were due to fly home from Turkey, he was struck down with sickness, diarrhoea and dehydration.
Despite this, his symptoms were dismissed by a representative from the holiday company as “sun stroke” and he was allowed to fly home.
But a couple of days later, test results confirmed he had the campylobacter bacteria and was confined to an isolation unit in Diana Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby, for two days.
Now, after more than three years of legal wrangling with holiday giant Thomas Cook, Mr Binns has finally received more than £1,000 compensation for the pain and suffering he experienced.
Mr Binns comments: “As a full time carer, I was looking forward to this time away which would give me the chance to sit down on a sun lounger and relax. But it turned into quite the opposite.
“As soon as we arrived we realised the hotel was run-down and grubby. Basic things like lights on the walkways were missing and I can only describe the food we were given as vile, grotty, re-heated stuff.”
“I was looking forward to getting home but then a couple of days before the end of the holiday I started shaking, vomiting and suffering from diarrhoea. My wife and my best friend’s wife, who was heavily pregnant, were also affected.
“We’d already spoken to the holiday rep about the poor conditions in the resort but when we told him about the illness he just dismissed it as sun stroke.”
Mr Binns was allowed to fly home from the 14 day holiday, which took place at the end of September and beginning of October 2008, but his symptoms became a lot worse after he arrived back in the UK.
He continues: “We’d been invited to my mother-in-law’s house and I just remember sitting there unable to eat and feeling extremely weak and pale. My stomach was churning like a tumble dryer. My mother-in-law told me to go straight to see the doctor. I managed to drive there but the doctor said there was no way I should drive home and immediately did some tests and put me on some very strong anti-biotics. The doctor was also extremely surprised that I had been allowed to fly home.”
“When the test results came back, I was sent straight to hospital and ended up spending two days in quarantine. I was extremely scared and at one point felt so ill that I thought I was going to die.”
Mr Binns – who was diagnosed with campylobacter, a serious form of food poisoning – turned to personal injury specialists Neil Hudgell Solicitors and the firm has now helped him secure compensation for the distress he suffered during his holiday nightmare.
Claire Fletcher, personal injury expert at Neil Hudgell Solicitors, who handled Mr Binns’ claim, comments: “Mr Binns had deservedly been looking forward to this holiday as a chance to relax and unwind.
“To help him get compensation for the terrible experience he and his family endured we immediately referred him to a specialist to gain a second opinion and compile a medical report.
“It was a challenge at times dealing with Thomas Cook and I am very pleased to resolve Mr Binns’ case.
“I hope that the compensation he’s received can go some way towards helping him put this nightmare behind him.”
Mr Binns concludes: “Whilst I’m pleased with the help and support from Neil Hudgell Solicitors, and the result achieved, I’m extremely disappointed by the holiday company’s attitude of trying to dismiss my claims, deny responsibility and supply the wrong documentation. It’s been a long, hard struggle but we’ve got there in the end.”
Mr Binns and his family have decided to take their holidays in the UK for the foreseeable future.