Start your claim

October 16th 2020

Inquests

Inquest into Croydon tram crash deaths delayed as Covid-19 restrictions increased in capital

Malcolm Johnson

Malcolm Johnson

Senior Solicitor, Abuse

Inquest into Croydon tram crash deaths delayed as Covid-19 restrictions increased in capital

Coroner Sarah Ormond-Walshe has taken the decision to delay the start of the inquest into the deaths of seven people killed in the Croydon tram crash four years ago due to concerns over increasing Covid-19 infections in London.

Coroner Sarah Ormond-Walshe has taken the decision to delay the start of the inquest into the deaths of seven people killed in the Croydon tram crash four years ago due to concerns over increasing Covid-19 infections in London.

The hearing, at which Hudgell Solicitors will represent widow Marilyn Logan, whose 52-year-old husband Philip was killed in the crash, had been due to start on Monday, October 19.

However, it was today confirmed the start will be delayed as the capital is being placed in the ‘high risk’ category, with new restrictions coming into force over social distancing.

No new start date has been confirmed but the coroner said it would be ‘as soon as possible’, with a view to conclude before Christmas.

Solicitor Malcolm Johnson, who will represent Mrs Logan and advise her throughout the 10-week hearing, which will be held in front of a jury, said: “Whilst of course disappointing for our client, as she had been preparing for the inquest to start for some time, it is fully understandable in the present circumstances to show extra caution and take steps to ensure the hearing can be held safely for all involved.

“The Coroner has expressed her desire to ensure the inquest is still started as soon as is safely possible, and to aim to have it concluded before Christmas, which we certainly support.

“Like all families who lost loved ones, Mrs Logan has waited four years for this inquest to begin and it is hoped that it will bring clarity as to exactly how and why the accident happened on that day, why lives were tragically lost and hopefully help to identify ways to prevent similar incidents in the future.”

Mr Logan was one of seven people killed in the crash at Sandilands junction on November 9, 2016. A further 61 people were injured, 19 seriously.

The other victims were Dane Chinnery, 19, Philip Seary, 57, Dorota Rynkiewicz, 35, and Robert Huxley, 63, all from New Addington, and Mark Smith, 35 and Donald Collett, 62, of Croydon.

Tram Driver Alfred Dorris was arrested but charges of gross negligence and manslaughter were later dropped. He will not give evidence at the inquest as he has been deemed not fit to attend.

What Our Clients Say