Start your claim

November 17th 2017

Accidents & Illness Abroad

Hudgell Solicitors’ holiday illness specialists advising guests taken ill by Mexico sickness bug

Hudgell Solicitors’ holiday illness specialists advising guests taken ill by Mexico sickness bug

Hudgell Solicitors’ are providing support to a number of UK holiday makers who were hit by a sickness bug in Mexico – leading to many saying they suffered from stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea.

Hudgell Solicitors’ are providing support to a number of UK holiday makers who were hit by a sickness bug in Mexico – leading to many saying they suffered from stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea.

Guests of the Grand Bahia Principe, which has a number of accommodation areas at the resort of Tulum, have taken to the review site TripAdvisor complaining of being confined to their rooms due to sickness, with some believing to have been struck down by food poisoning.

One reviewer detailed how his elderly father became so ill he was unable to stand and was hospitalised whilst on holiday, something they believe to have been caused by food-poisoning as both became ill having eaten at the same restaurant at the resort.

Another holidaymaker has claimed he was taken to hospital after getting off the plane when returning home, saying he was ill for over two weeks.

That guest has alleged food to have been served ‘luke warm’, water having an ‘unusually chemical taste’ and being served ‘pink chicken’ at one meal time.

Of course, it is accepted and understood that sickness can’t be prevented at all times, and people are more susceptible when on holiday abroad in a different climate, and eating different foods that they are not accustomed to.

However, our team at Hudgell Solicitors have taken a number of enquiries recently from holidaymakers who were hit by similar sickness symptoms from mid-September to early October, and as a result, we have agreed to look into their cases.

Holiday resorts must ensure highest standards of hygiene to prevent sickness spreading

Some holidaymakers have sent us pictures of raw meat which was allegedly served, and of poor hygiene standards.

Having handled many cases of avoidable and serious sickness bug outbreaks as a holiday illness claims specialist, I feel these allegations are the kind which certainly need further investigation.

The Grand Bahia Principle Hotel is a popular hotel, as it is set in a beautiful location, and offers many swimming pools and restaurants, bars and buffets. Overall, it has a very good rating on the TripAdvisor review site also.

However, in such large resorts, where large numbers of guests are interacting, it is imperative that hygiene and cleaning are of the highest of standards at all time, firstly to prevent bacteria and infection, and importantly to ensure any outbreaks are quickly identified and controlled. There can be no lapse in standard, at any time.

Should food poisoning be found to have caused illness at any hotel or resort, through either inadequate storage of food and ingredients leading to contamination, or through not being prepared and cooked properly, it is only right that people are held to account and that holidaymakers are compensated for their suffering.

Often, not only are long-awaited and costly holidays completely ruined, but people remain unwell when they return home, having to take time off work as they recover.

If you feel that you have suffered from food poisoning, or a sickness bug which has been allowed to spread by poor hygiene standards, our specialist team can provide free advice as to whether you may have grounds for a claim.

What Our Clients Say