Pressure Sores and Bed Sore Compensation
If you or a loved one is admitted to hospital or placed in a care home, you should always expect the highest level of care and treatment.
Thankfully, you will normally receive just that. However, if negligence does occur, pressure sores and bed sores may develop. This can happen if a patient is in the same position for a long period of time, for example someone bedridden or confined to a wheelchair.
All patients should be assessed on admission under the Waterlow System, with a higher score highlighting those with a greater risk of developing pressure sores. For example, elderly patients.
The signs and symptoms of pressure sores and bed sores are:
- reddened areas of skin which feel tender to touch
- areas affected often include heels, ankles, the spine, buttocks or shoulders
- if pressure continues to be applied, sores become more painful and may turn purple
- if sores are left untreated, they could develop into a more serious infection
We are here to help you
Our specialist team of dedicated solicitors can provide expert advice and support, including the following guide on how to grade bed sores and ulcers.
- Grade 1: ulcers can be identified by a dark discolouration of the skin which does not change if light pressure is applied.
- Grade 2: upper layers of the sufferer’s skin are lost or damaged and appear as a blister, scratch or a shallow crater.
- Grade 3: the loss of the sufferer’s skin through to the first layer of underlying tissue, usually resembling a deep crater.
- Grade 4: extensive underlying tissue damage and destruction, known as necrosis. Grade 4 sores should be treated immediately and will usually require surgery to remove.
How to make a claim
95% of both pressure sores and bed sores are easily preventable through appropriate mobility checks. If you or a member of your family has suffered from either condition whilst under the care of the NHS, private healthcare or care home staff, we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
All claims have a time limit, so don’t delay. We’ll take the worry and hassle out of making a claim.
For more information, watch our video:
Simply call us on
01482 778 463 for free advice
No win no fee
- personal insurance cover so there’s no financial risk to you in pursuing a claim
- whatever the outcome of your case, you won’t have to pay a penny (provided that you fully assist us with your claim) other than an agreed percentage of your damages
Looking to see if you're eligible?
Get in touch for free legal advice
Call today to speak to an expert
What Our Clients Think
They made me feel that I wouldn’t be on…
"They made me feel that I wouldn’t be on my own after my experience. They… "
The service was excellent and Lauren…
"The service was excellent and Lauren Cartwright kept me well informed and gave good advice… "
"Excellent service, fully recommended. Efficient communication and reliable."
Hudgell took over my road traffic case…
"Hudgell took over my road traffic case from a different solicitors and successfully negotiated a… "
Hudgell Solicitors made my personal…
"Hudgell Solicitors made my personal injury claim so easy, they got me the treatment i… "
I have never used solicitors before
"I have never used solicitors before, my dealings with Hudgell have been excellent I have… "
First Class service
"Hudgell Solicitors are currently working on my case and I must say so far the… "
Always kept me up to date on all…
"Always kept me up to date on all correspondence concerning the case and acknowledged any… "
Excellent solicitors kept us informed…
"Excellent solicitors kept us informed at all times and since it’s been a lengthy case… "
"Professional staff They keep me updated all the time Very good service Definitely recommended"
Straightforward and efficient
"I had the pleasure of having Sarah Colgrave as my solicitor. She was very accomodating,… "
An absolutely brilliant team of people
"An absolutely brilliant team of people! So kind a and helpful. Always putting their clients… "
very helpful & understanding
"very helpful & understanding"
Great firm to deal with
"Great firm to deal with, attentive and on the ball, everyone was always pleasant and… "
Quicker than expected
"They were friendly, helpful when needed. Everything was done as expected all in black and… "
"I would like to thank Hudgell Solicitors for a very professional approach and caring attitude… "
Would highly recommend
"Would highly recommend"
Rated 9.3 out of 10 based on 445 reviews