Pressure Sores and Bed Sore Compensation
If you or a loved one is admitted to hospital or placed in a care home, you should always expect the highest level of care and treatment.
Thankfully, you will normally receive just that. However, if negligence does occur, pressure sores and bed sores may develop. This can happen if a patient is in the same position for a long period of time, for example someone bedridden or confined to a wheelchair.
All patients should be assessed on admission under the Waterlow System, with a higher score highlighting those with a greater risk of developing pressure sores. For example, elderly patients.
The signs and symptoms of pressure sores and bed sores are:
- reddened areas of skin which feel tender to touch
- areas affected often include heels, ankles, the spine, buttocks or shoulders
- if pressure continues to be applied, sores become more painful and may turn purple
- if sores are left untreated, they could develop into a more serious infection
We are here to help you
Our specialist team of dedicated solicitors can provide expert advice and support, including the following guide on how to grade bed sores and ulcers.
- Grade 1: ulcers can be identified by a dark discolouration of the skin which does not change if light pressure is applied.
- Grade 2: upper layers of the sufferer’s skin are lost or damaged and appear as a blister, scratch or a shallow crater.
- Grade 3: the loss of the sufferer’s skin through to the first layer of underlying tissue, usually resembling a deep crater.
- Grade 4: extensive underlying tissue damage and destruction, known as necrosis. Grade 4 sores should be treated immediately and will usually require surgery to remove.
How to make a claim
95% of both pressure sores and bed sores are easily preventable through appropriate mobility checks. If you or a member of your family has suffered from either condition whilst under the care of the NHS, private healthcare or care home staff, we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
All claims have a time limit, so don’t delay. We’ll take the worry and hassle out of making a claim.
For more information, watch our video:
Simply call us on
01482 778 463 for free advice
No win no fee
- personal insurance cover so there’s no financial risk to you in pursuing a claim
- whatever the outcome of your case, you won’t have to pay a penny (provided that you fully assist us with your claim) other than an agreed percentage of your damages
Looking to see if you're eligible?
Get in touch for free legal advice
Call today to speak to an expert
What Our Clients Think
I must say
"I must say, the experience was pleasant and everyone I spoke to was lovely and… "
Professional & helpful throughout the…
"Professional & helpful throughout the process"
"Absolutely Fantastic! Case took a lot less time than expected and the outcome was a… "
8spot on service
"8spot on service"
I am extremely happy with the…
"I am extremely happy with the professionalism and friendly service I received from Sam Thompson… "
Great service always friendly
"Great service always friendly. Always kept up to date with my claim. Every time frame… "
A big thank you to all at hudgell…
"A big thank you to all at hudgell solicitors, the process of my injury claim… "
Hudgell Solicitors were there when I needed them
"I would highly recommend Hudgell Solicitors to anyone in the unfortunate position of requiring legal… "
Hudgell Solicitors were so helpful…
"Hudgell Solicitors were so helpful through the whole process. they advised me on the best… "
Very efficient and friendly service
"Very efficient and friendly service"
Hudgell Solicitors recommendation
"It was a tough experience but Hudgell Solicitors made it easier with updates along the… "
"Honest, up front and always kept in the loop."
Very helpful and would recommend…
"Very helpful and would recommend hudgell to every one"
Very professional helpful and very…
"Very professional helpful and very friendly ."
Very happy with the fast service…
"Very happy with the fast service provided by Lauren at this firm. Always there to… "
Made it very easy
"Made it very easy"
Really good service!
"Really good service!"
"Very good experience with this firm and my excellent lawyer, definitely a firm I will… "
Highly recommended,very helpful and…
"Highly recommended,very helpful and good customer service, they are a company that really care and… "
Rebecca Cone looked after my claim and…
"Rebecca Cone looked after my claim and I would like to say that she was… "
Rated 9.4 out of 10 based on 424 reviews