Pressure Sores and Bed Sore Compensation
If you or a loved one is admitted to hospital or placed in a care home, you should always expect the highest level of care and treatment.
Thankfully, you will normally receive just that. However, if negligence does occur, pressure sores and bed sores may develop. This can happen if a patient is in the same position for a long period of time, for example someone bedridden or confined to a wheelchair.
All patients should be assessed on admission under the Waterlow System, with a higher score highlighting those with a greater risk of developing pressure sores. For example, elderly patients.
The signs and symptoms of pressure sores and bed sores are:
- reddened areas of skin which feel tender to touch
- areas affected often include heels, ankles, the spine, buttocks or shoulders
- if pressure continues to be applied, sores become more painful and may turn purple
- if sores are left untreated, they could develop into a more serious infection
We are here to help you
Our specialist team of dedicated solicitors can provide expert advice and support, including the following guide on how to grade bed sores and ulcers.
- Grade 1: ulcers can be identified by a dark discolouration of the skin which does not change if light pressure is applied.
- Grade 2: upper layers of the sufferer’s skin are lost or damaged and appear as a blister, scratch or a shallow crater.
- Grade 3: the loss of the sufferer’s skin through to the first layer of underlying tissue, usually resembling a deep crater.
- Grade 4: extensive underlying tissue damage and destruction, known as necrosis. Grade 4 sores should be treated immediately and will usually require surgery to remove.
How to make a claim
95% of both pressure sores and bed sores are easily preventable through appropriate mobility checks. If you or a member of your family has suffered from either condition whilst under the care of the NHS, private healthcare or care home staff, we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
All claims have a time limit, so don’t delay. We’ll take the worry and hassle out of making a claim.
For more information, watch our video:
Simply call us on
01482 778 463 for free advice
No win no fee
- personal insurance cover so there’s no financial risk to you in pursuing a claim
- whatever the outcome of your case, you won’t have to pay a penny (provided that you fully assist us with your claim) other than an agreed percentage of your damages
What Our Clients Think
A very professional efficient service.
"A very professional efficient service."
I can honestly Say that it has been a …
"I can honestly Say that it has been a privilege to be represented by a… "
Claim against Met Police
"Apart from when purchasing property, I have virtually no experience of working with solicitors. I… "
"Extremely professional and considerate staff. Helpful every step,and always contactable."
"VERY GOOD SOLICITORS.THANK YOU/I RECOMMEND"
An excellent company to deal with
"An excellent company to deal with. Very efficient & professional with a personal touch. Kept… "
Very good communication between myself …
"Very good communication between myself and Hudgell resulting in a very satisfactory outcome"
Very good and friendly people
"Very good and friendly people"
Excellent advice throughout
"Excellent advice throughout, kept up to date at all times, Would highly recommended"
very helpful from the start
"very helpful from the start. Kept in touch to keep me up to date with… "
A solicitor that listens and doesn't judge.
"I hope I never have to go through anything like it again but if I… "
Thank you for your support especially …Jade
"Thank you for your support especially by Jade again you for understanding my case. Graham… "
Renu could not have been …
"Renu could not have been better,excellent service"
Professional first class company
"Professional first class company"
Before instructing Hudgells we couldn't …
"Before instructing Hudgells we couldn't even extract an apology from the defendant so to come… "
"fr endless staff made the process easy, great communication throughout. Would recommend."
Amy Wilkinson has been very profession …and
"Amy Wilkinson has been very professional and patient with my enquiries also very helpful, so… "
"I was kept up to date with any changes, treated with respect and honesty and… "
Rated 9.2 out of 10 based on 334 reviews