When our client went into hospital for breast augmentation surgery she was looking forward to the results after two previously failed operations.
She’d borrowed the money from her mother and thought it would be third time lucky.
But her dreams were soon shattered when a light used during the surgery burnt her leaving her scarred for life.
Now, after turning to us for support, she has won £7,500 compensation for the trauma she has endured.
Her nightmare began when her partner realised she’d been longer in the operating theatre than expected and noticed some additional bandages under her armpit. On reading her medical notes, it quickly became apparent that something had gone wrong when reference was made to blisters which weren’t a normal part of the healing process.
Our client explains what happened: “When I came out of surgery, my partner commented as to what a long time I’d been in theatre. He then noticed a bandage underneath my armpit and said that I must have had a drip fitted.
“I became concerned because I knew that a drip shouldn’t have been involved and so I asked my partner to have a look at my notes. He’s a first aider on an oil rig and so knows about medical procedures. When he saw that blisters were mentioned, we realised things weren’t right.”
She continues: “It was evening before I got chance to talk directly to the surgeon and ask him what had happened. He explained that a light used in the procedure must have been faulty, overheated and burnt me. He said he would take the matter up with the light manufacturers.
“Time went on and we just kept getting fobbed off by managers at the hospital continually telling us they were looking into the matter. We were eventually informed that it wasn’t the manufacturer’s fault, but no one seemed prepared to look into the matter further and find out exactly whose fault it was.”
She concludes: “When it became clear we weren’t getting anywhere we decided to approach Neil Hudgell Solicitors for support. The team was extremely professional and sorted my claim out very quickly indeed. I’d have no hesitation at all in recommending the company to others.
“Whilst I’m pleased to have reached this settlement, it doesn’t change the fact that I’m left with a scar under my armpit which is visible no matter what clothes I wear.”