Sports Injuries Abroad Claims FAQs
Who can make a sports injury abroad claim?
If you’ve been injured in a sports accident abroad, you may be able to claim compensation if there’s evidence to show that the accident could have been avoided.
Naturally, winter and adventure sports do come with a significant number of risks, so you must be able to show that the accident was caused by one of the following in order to be eligible to make a claim:
- Where negligence on the part of someone else was to blame for the accident, e.g. a ski instructor providing substandard tuition.
- Faulty equipment, such as ill-fitting or broken skis.
- Faulty machinery, such as ski lifts.
- The reckless actions of another participant.
Our travel litigation solicitors can advise on whether or not you have a claim as part of a free, no-obligation consultation about your circumstances. Call us today for impartial legal advice about your winter sports injury abroad claim.
How long do I have make a claim?
The window in which you can make a claim will depend on which country you were in at the time of the accident.
If you were in the UK or the EU, you can usually make a claim through the UK court system, meaning you’ll have up to 3 years to bring a claim against the responsible party. However, different time periods can apply so we’d always recommend making a claim at your earliest convenience following an accident, as this could improve your chances of making a successful claim and achieving maximum compensation for your injuries and loss.
As the time period in which you can claim varies widely from country to country, we’d recommend contacting our specialist travel solicitors as soon as possible after the incident. They can advise you on the claims process for sports accidents and provide professional legal support for a variety of circumstances.
Who can I make a claim against?
In cases of winter sports accidents abroad, you may be able to make a claim against several different parties who may have been responsible for your injuries and loss.
- Winter sport instructors — You can bring a claim against a ski or snowboard instructor when there’s evidence to show that they provided substandard tuition, which directly resulted in your accident and injuries.
- Other participants — When an individual’s negligence or reckless actions have caused injury, you can make a claim against them and their insurer.
- Tour operators — If your accident took place during a package holiday, you may be able to bring a case against the tour operator when there’s evidence to show that negligence on their or their providers’ part may have caused your injuries.
- Ski resort personnel — In cases where faulty equipment and machinery caused your accident, you may be eligible to bring a case against individual ski resort personnel who were tasked with maintaining the equipment, or with the resort management.
As part of our investigation, our travel solicitors will get to the bottom of who was responsible for your accident, so that they can be held to account for the injuries you’ve sustained.
How much compensation can I expect to receive?
If, after your initial consultation, our solicitors accept your claim, we’ll begin our investigation with a view to identify the party responsible, and calculate the amount of compensation we believe your claim is worth.
To do this, we’ll assess the following:
- The severity of your injuries, and your ongoing medical needs.
- The potential psychological trauma you’ve suffered in the aftermath of the accident.
- Rehabilitation, care and any case management requirements.
- Mobility aids and modifications to your home.
- Past and future loss of earnings.
- Your financial losses, including overseas medical expenses and the price of your holiday and travel.
- The loss of enjoyment you’ve experienced due to your holiday being cut short by an accident.
Our experienced solicitors are experts in achieving maximum compensation for sports accident abroad claims, and can help you get the monetary support you need to make a full and complete recovery following a serious accident overseas. —
What happens when I make a sports injury abroad claim?
When our solicitors accept your case for a sports injury abroad, we’ll begin the process of investigating the circumstances of your claim and valuing an appropriate amount of compensation.
Claiming compensation for a sports injury that happened abroad is a four-step process, involving the following steps:
- Investigation — We’ll work closely with you and our network of foreign law experts to establish the circumstances of your accident, with a view to identifying those responsible for your injuries. We’ll also enlist the help of an independent medical examiner to assess the severity of your injuries.
- Calculate an appropriate compensation sum — With the results of the independent medical examination, we’ll calculate how much compensation you’re eligible to receive based on the factors listed above.
- Bring your claim to the opposing party — We’ll correspond with the opposing party on your behalf. They may choose to accept the claim and settlement amount, or contest it, in which case further negotiation will be sought to settle the case out of court.
- Conclusion or further proceedings — If the other side accepts your claim, you’ll receive the compensation amount (minus our pre-agreed legal expenses). If the case can’t be settled, it may go to trial, in which case you may have to attend court. In the unlikely event that this situation arises, we’ll be there to provide support and guidance through the subsequent legal proceedings.
If you have any further queries on the claims process, our travel litigation team will be happy to answer any questions you might have before choosing to make a claim.
TRUSTSCORE 9.4 | 369 REVIEWS
Head of Travel Litigation
Senior Legal Executive and Head of Personal Injury
Looking to see if you're eligible?
Get in touch for free legal advice
Call today to speak to an expert
What Our Clients Think
Overall happy with Hudgell service.
"Overall happy with Hudgell service. The only thing what I would suggest to improve is… "
Due to a serious illness that …
"Due to a serious illness that progressively become life threatening due to a misdiagnocice. I… "
During the time of my claim Paul cain …
"During the time of my claim Paul cain has been brilliant at keeping me informed… "
Excellent solicitors from start to …
"Excellent solicitors from start to finish. Highly recommended. Well be using them again in future.… "
Honest and reliable
"Honest and reliable. My solicitor was available whenever i needed to speak to her."
Very professional from start to finish
"Very professional from start to finish, kept me informed every step of the way."
5 STAR SOLICITORS
"Excellent company I would without doubt recommend this company for the way they handled my… "
I am extremely happy with the way my case has been handled
"I am extremely happy with the way my case is being handled and so far… "
When I had an accident at work
"When I had an accident at work, my next door neighbour told me to make… "
Absolutely brilliant service from start …
"Absolutely brilliant service from start to finish. Was kept up to date with proceedings .… "
I couldn't praise hudgell solicitor's enough
"I couldn't praise hudgell solicitors high enough,I was kept in the know throughout my claim… "
Excellent service and really quick pay …
"Excellent service and really quick pay out. Would highly recommend them to friends and family...Thank… "
Rebecca Cone was amazing
"Rebecca Cone was amazing! No delays No hassle No complications Quick turn over! Constantly been… "
I was extremely happy with the way my …
"I was extremely happy with the way my case was dealt with by Hudgell Solicitors.… "
Regular contact with client
"Regular contact with client, prompt response to any queries. Professional and courteous."
"Friendly, efficient & supportive staff throughout"
Hudgell Solicitors helped me with my … Needle Stick Injury.
"Hudgell Solicitors helped me with my claim for a Needle stick injury which occurred in… "
Hudgell solicitors did a great job
"Hudgell solicitors did a great job. I was kept in the loop every step of… "
I cannot thank Hudgel enough for all of …
"I cannot thank Hudgel enough for all of there help advice and support! Very professional… "
"good contacts . nice system"
Rated 9.4 out of 10 based on 369 reviews