Accidents in Hotels Abroad Claims FAQs

Who can make an accidents in hotels abroad claim?

If you’ve suffered an accident in a hotel during a holiday abroad, or while travelling for work, you could be entitled to make a no win no fee compensation claim.

There are a number of circumstances which may mean you’re eligible to claim compensation following an accident in a hotel. Our travel litigation solicitors may be able to help you claim in the following circumstances:

  • Slips, trips and falls resulting from negligence — If you slipped on a wet floor when there were no hazard warning signs present, or tripped on defective steps, worn carpet or unattended cleaning apparatus, you could be eligible to claim.
  • Unattended swimming pools — Swimming pools are one of the most dangerous areas of a hotel, especially when they’re left unattended. From minor slips on wet or defective surfaces to potential drowning; you may be able to claim if your accident happened in an unattended swimming pool.
  • Old or substandard furniture — If your accident was caused by old or poorly maintained furniture, resulting in a range of minor or potentially severe injuries.
  • Food poisoning or bacterial infection — If you contract food poisoning or a bacterial infection from poorly handled and prepared food, you could be eligible to make a claim.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of potential hotel accidents which may mean you’re eligible to claim compensation. No matter what the circumstances of your accident or injury, our solicitors can provide free and impartial legal advice and advise on your eligibility to pursue a claim.

How long do I have to make a claim?

The amount of time you have to claim will depend on where the hotel accident took place.

If you were holidaying or working in the UK, you normally have three years from the date of the accident to bring a compensation claim. However, this will not be the case if your accident took place outside of England and Wales where English law does not apply. Some countries have much shorter time periods, some as short as 6-12 months from the date of the accident.

Our experienced travel litigation team can advise on the claims process for countries in the EU and around the world. We’d always recommend seeking legal advice at your earliest opportunity following an accident in a hotel abroad.

Who can I make a claim against?

Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be able to make a claim against:

  • The hotel management and their insurer for health, safety or hygiene failings.
  • The tour operator you booked a package holiday with, for failing in their duty of care to provide safe and secure accommodation for you and your family.

Following an initial consultation, our travel litigation solicitors will be able to advise you further as to who you’re able to make a claim against.

How much compensation can I expect to receive?

The amount of compensation you’re entitled to following an accident in a hotel overseas will depend on several different factors, including:

  • The severity of your physical injuries — corroborated by an independent medical expert.
  • The psychological trauma you’ve suffered after the accident.
  • Your loss of earnings through taking time off work following the accident.
  • Your ongoing care and medical support requirements.
  • Mobility aids and home improvements you now require as a result of your injuries.
  • Other financial losses you’ve incurred in the wake of the accident, including overseas medical expenses and travel costs.
  • The loss of enjoyment you’ve experienced as a result of your holiday being cut short or affected.

Our solicitors are experts in achieving maximum compensation for hotel accident claims abroad, both inside and outside the EU. To find out the value of your claim, contact our team now for a free no obligation consultation.

What is the claims process for hotel accidents abroad claims?

After submitting details of your claim to us, our experienced travel litigation solicitors will contact you to discuss your case as part of a free initial consultation. We’ll assess the circumstances of your case to determine the viability of your case and will always be as honest as possible about the potential outcome of your case.

If your case is accepted, we’ll begin our investigation, where necessary liaising with our network of travel experts to establish the circumstances of your accident and who exactly was responsible for your injuries. We’ll also enlist the help of an independent medical examiner to assess the severity of your injuries and determine whether you require any ongoing rehabilitation and/or care.

Once we’ve concluded our investigations and obtained all evidence in support of your case, we’ll advise you on a reasonable amount of compensation that’s appropriate to your injuries and losses, making sure you’re happy with the potential settlement sum. Then, we’ll submit your case to the opposing party, who can choose to accept the valuation, contest the compensation amount, or question the circumstances of your claim.

The majority of accidents in hotels abroad cases we deal with settle out of court, and it’s very rare that you’d ever be required to attend at Court. If, however, your case does go to court, our experienced legal team will be on hand to provide complete guidance and support throughout the entire legal process.

For more information about the claims process or for any queries in relation to your case, contact our travel litigation team today for free, no obligation legal advice.

Request A Callback

I am an existing client.

Or call us FREE on:

01482 778 463

trust pilottrustpilot startrustpilot startrustpilot startrustpilot startrustpilot star

The data you submit will only be used by Hudgell Solicitors and only for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry.
See full privacy policy.

Trust Pilot
trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars


Our experts

Paul McClorry

Head of Travel Litigation

Jane Woodcock

Senior Legal Executive and Head of Personal Injury