About Us
Join us
Additional services
Call us on
"I'm so pleased to have closure following my claim outcome" Phone Icon Request a Call
We are experts in

Patient and Hospital Abuse

Patient and Hospital Abuse Compensation Claims

When accessing care from a GP surgery, hospital, health centre or dental practice you should feel reassured that the staff will have your best interests at heart, especially if you’re already anxious or worried about treatment you’re receiving.

In most cases this is exactly what happens. Sadly, not all medical establishments are staffed by caring employees, and cases of patient abuse do still occur. Unfortunately, vulnerable people who are physically, emotionally or psychologically frail. Young patients, the elderly, mentally incapacitated or those who dependent on others to look after them can therefore be at risk.

Abuse of patients can happen in a variety of different situations. It doesn’t matter whether medical treatment is being delivered at home, in a hospital or as part of a community health program; the Trust responsible for administering it has a ‘duty of care’ to all its patients. This means you have the right to be treated with a reasonable level of professional care at all times.

Specialists in Patient and Hospital Abuse

We understand the physical pain and emotional trauma victims suffer. To obtain free expert advice or start an assault claim, please get in touch today – we promise to handle your case with discretion and care.

  • We help to take away the worry and hassle out of making a claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
  • Our specialist team of solicitors are here for you and your loved ones to provide expert legal advice.



apil logo


We are a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, which is an organisation dedicated to improving services for victims of personal injury. Only practitioners who demonstrate expertise and credibility in this field are awarded this certificate.

We're to help you

Looking for help and don’t know where to start? We can help you find the information you need.

Making a Patient and Hospital Abuse Claim

Patient and hospital abuse claims can be pursued whenever a patient experiences a clear breach of this. If you feel you have suffered physical, sexual or emotional abuse by a healthcare professional, it may be possible to pursue legal action and claim compensation for your pain and suffering. Every local hospital trust, social care provider and mental health trust in England and Wales is responsible for the actions of their employees. This means they can be found liable, or failing in their duty of care, if a medical professional commits an act of abuse on a patient.

As anyone who is unwell will know, the relationship between a healthcare professional and their patient is based on trust. In the eyes of the law, any intimacy or sexual contact cannot be considered a mutual act because a patient is seen as being vulnerable. Whilst no amount of compensation can ever make up for the distress, suffering and trauma experienced when subjected to any form of abuse, it can help you access counselling or therapy and medication to make coping with what happened more manageable. Some abuse survivors also take the decision to sue an abuser because it enables them to achieve closure and take back some control of their emotions and life. If you’d like to speak to our specialist team in confidence, please get in touch or call today.


What are the different types of patient abuse?
    Patient abuse does not just have to take place whilst receiving medical treatment in a hospital. It can be carried out by any healthcare professional, whether it’s in a clinic, surgery or even at your own home.
    Patient abuse is defined as being any action or failure to act which causes a patient to endure unreasonable suffering, misery or harm.
    Types of abuse can include:
  • Sexual assault or rape
  • Physical assault or striking
  • Intentionally withholding medication or medical attention
  • Intentionally withholding physical care
  • Intentionally withholding food from a patient
  • How to report hospital abuse or abuse by medical staff
      If you’ve experienced sexual, physical or emotional trauma because of patient abuse, or you’re worried that a loved one might be suffering abuse in hospital, or from another healthcare professional, contact our team.
      Depending on the historic or current circumstances and the outcome you’d like to happen, you may want to report your complaint to:
  • General Medical Council
  • Care Quality Commission
  • Clinical Commissioning Group
  • Healthwatch
  • NHS Choices
  • How our patient abuse lawyers can help you
      At Hudgell Solicitors, we realise how traumatic it can be to come forward and we promise to treat you and your experience with respect and compassion.
      Our highly-trained team of abuse solicitors appreciate why you may be fearful of making a claim. Although we could never fully understand the difficulties you’ve been through, we can help you to discuss what happened and help you to seek justice.
      If you decide not to take matters further after speaking to us, you won’t be under any obligation to do so and we will not charge you for our initial advice. If you do wish to proceed with your case, we can assist you on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis. Whatever the outcome, you won’t pay a penny, except an agreed percentage of any damages you receive.
      We can provide free, confidential and expert advice in relation to all manners of abuse.
      You can find out more about how we support those who have been subjected to abuse here HOW WE SUPPORT YOU THROUGH AN ABUSE CLAIM
      If you or someone you know could benefit from this, please get in touch and speak to a solicitor specialising in abuse compensation claims.

    How much will my claim cost?

    All abuse cases taken on by Hudgell Solicitors are handled on a no win no fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay any money up front and there will be no financial risk if your case is unsuccessful.

    If your case is successful, you will only be expected to pay a contribution to your solicitor’s fees once the case has been resolved. The costs paid are usually a percentage of the compensation awarded and will be agreed before your case is carried out.


    Find out more

    "Victim of sexual abuse at Nottingham children’s home feels her suffering has finally been recognised as Government awards £22,000 compensation three decades on."

    Rebecca Pick, Litigation Executive, Criminal Injuries

    Read More

    Get in touch

    Feel free to give us a call, or begin your claim online

    Request a Call Begin your claim

    What Our Clients Say

    Start your claim