About Us
Join us
Additional services
Call us on
"I was abused by my partner for years" Phone Icon Request a Call
We are experts in

Abuse Claims

Abuse Claims

For many victims of abuse, standing up to the perpetrator can be an intimidating prospect – especially when abuse has been inflicted by someone in a position of trust, such as a family member or friend.

In some cases crimes of such a serious nature are reported to the police immediately, but for many reasons those targeted also often suffer in silence because of the sheer the amount of physical or emotional pain inflicted. Although domestic and family violence is more commonly associated with acts of bullying or aggressive behaviour carried out within the home, it can refer to abusive acts of a sexual nature also.

Typically, this type of abuse is committed by a partner, family member or loved one, but in some instances, particularly those where abuse has been inflicted during childhood, it may have been carried out by a family friend, neighbour or somebody a child comes into regular, unsupervised contact with.

Please download a copy of our Criminal Injuries Guide.

Specialists in CICA Abuse Claims

We have helped thousands of innocent victims of abuse and sexual assault secure criminal injuries compensation. As leading criminal injury specialists, we work closely with the CICA to secure you the compensation you deserve.

  • All initial consultations are free and cases are pursued on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis so there’s no financial risk to you.
  • Our lawyers can maximise your chances of success in the quickest time possible.
  • We know that no amount of money can ever make up for how your life has been affected, but taking legal action can be the first step towards achieving some sort of closure.
  • We can take the stress away and chase for updates on a regular and persistent basis.






We are proud to partner Coram, who are committed to improving the lives of the UK’s most vulnerable children and young people. They support children and young people from birth to independence, creating a change that lasts a lifetime.

We're here for you

Looking for help and don’t know where to start? We can help you find the information you need

Request a Call Begin your claim

Making an Abuse Claim

Whether you’ve been the victim of physical, mental or sexual abuse; you are entitled to receive compensation for your pain and suffering. We have a team of dedicated CICA claims specialists who are able to pursue claims to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

This means claims can be pursued even if those carrying out the abuse have since died.

CICA claims can also be successful in some cases where police have not prosecuted individuals, or if the alleged perpetrator has not been found guilty in a criminal court. If you’ve been abused in any way and you’re unsure what to do, don’t suffer in silence any longer – get in touch with our expert lawyers and discover how we can help you bring a CICA abuse claim.

Our Abuse Claim Experts

Vicky Richardson Head of Civil Liberties Read more
Nicola Bailey-Gibbs Associate, Criminal Injuries and Civil Liberties Read more
Tracy Thames Litigation Executive, Criminal Injuries Read more
Rebecca Pick Litigation Executive, Criminal Injuries Read more

How much will my claim cost?

All CICA abuse cases taken on by Hudgell Solicitors are handled on a no win no fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay any money up front and there will be no financial risk if your case is unsuccessful.

If your case is successful, you will only be expected to pay a contribution to your solicitor’s fees once the case has been resolved. The costs paid are usually a percentage of the compensation awarded and will be agreed before your case is carried out.


What can I claim CICA abuse compensation for?
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is an executive agency that is administered the Ministry of Justice and funded by the taxes we all pay. Under the CICA scheme, compensation for domestic violence or sexual abuse can be awarded for:
  • Sexual abuse.
  • Pain and suffering caused by the violence and abuse.
  • Expenses for counselling or psychological injuries.
  • Loss of past or future earnings.
What are the time limits making a domestic violence or abuse claim?
We advise anyone who wishes to make a claim to the CICA, to get in touch with us as soon as possible, so we can give you professional advice about time limits and how best to protect your rights. CICA claims should ideally be made within two years of the incident or abuse, or two years from the date of reporting the matter to the police in the case of abuse that occurred when the victim was a child. For someone who was the victim of abuse when they were a child they have until their 20th birthday to make their application. However, because this is a highly-sensitive area, where victims find it difficult to come forward, the time limits can be extended by the CICA in certain circumstances so we recommend that you take advice whatever your circumstances. Cases can also be taken on before any related criminal proceedings have been completed, so there is no need to wait for criminal court proceedings to be completed. Our domestic violence and abuse lawyers always recommend seeking access to justice as soon as possible.
What evidence do I need to make a CICA abuse claim?
To start a claim with the CICA you MUST report the abuse committed against you to the police. For most sexual assaults, the compensation awarded by the CICA is based upon the evidence in a police report, not your medical history. This is because, despite the serious nature of these offences, there often isn't any actual medical evidence. If medical evidence is available, we can advise you whether to submit it and explain how it could benefit your case. Sometimes it can mean your claim takes longer to deal with, but it may help you receive thousands more in compensation if psychological damage can be established. Before applying to the CICA, we strongly recommend seeking expert legal advice because the evidence your case relies upon really does matter.
Can I claim if I was assaulted by someone I lived with?
If you were abused by someone you lived with you can claim compensation under the CICA scheme. The scrapping of the unjust ‘same roof rule’ in June 2019, which had previously denied people abused by those they lived with from claiming compensation (if the abuse happened before 1 October 1979), has paved the way for thousands of people to make new claims or appeal those previously rejected under the law. If you have previously been denied a settlement or told not to pursue a case due to the ‘same roof rule’, get in touch to start your claim.

"Victim of sexual abuse at Nottingham children’s home feels her suffering has finally been recognised as Government awards £22,000 compensation three decades on."

Rebecca Pick, Litigation Executive, Criminal Injuries

Read More

Get in touch

Feel free to give us a call, or begin your claim online

Request a Call Begin your claim

What Our Clients Say

Start your claim