About Us
Join us
Additional services
Call us on
"I was abused when I was a child in a home" Phone Icon Request a Call
We are experts in

Abuse in Child and Care Homes

Abuse in Child and Care Homes

Children who are looked after in the local authority care system have the right to live in a secure and caring environment. Whether a child has been placed in care as a temporary measure or for the long term, the children’s home or care home responsible for them has a ‘duty of care’ to ensure they’re safe.

In the majority of cases, young people in care say that their experiences are good. Unfortunately, some looked-after children do not receive appropriate protection and become victims of neglect, abuse and exploitation. Child abuse that is carried out in this type of environment usually involves sexual, physical or emotional abuse. Whether it is inflicted by another child, a staff member in a position of trust or a person from outside the home, abuse of this nature is totally unacceptable.

If you’re an adult who suffered child abuse in care homes or a children’s home during childhood, taking legal action could help you bring those responsible to justice.

Specialists in Abuse in Child and Care Home Claims

We have a vastly-experienced team of child abuse specialists who can advise you on the best way to secure compensation for your suffering – even if the abuse happened years ago. Our child abuse solicitors will fight hard to hold the individual or organisation they worked for to account – regardless of how the abuse happened or where it took place.

  • Our specialist team of solicitors are here for you and your loved ones to provide expert legal advice.
  • We help to take away the worry and hassle out of making a claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
  • We understand that no amount of money can ever heal physical or emotional scars, it may allow you to access counselling or therapy to make life more manageable in future.




We are proud to partner Coram, who are committed to improving the lives of the UK’s most vulnerable children and young people. They support children and young people from birth to independence, creating a change that lasts a lifetime.

We're here for you

Looking for help and don’t know where to start? We can help you find the information you need.

Request a Call Begin your claim

Making an Abuse in Child and Care Home Claim

We know complete trust and confidence between ourselves and those we represent is one of the most important aspects of the support we provide. That is why we have a dedicated team of specialist abuse lawyers supporting those who bravely come forward to discuss the trauma they’ve suffered, at any time in their lives.

Our abuse claims team contains lawyers with an expert understanding of the law around abuse claims. They also have considerable experience and knowledge of the emotional and psychological impact that abuse and assault can have on those who have suffered.

How much will my claim cost?

All abuse cases taken on by Hudgell Solicitors are handled on a no win no fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay any money up front and there will be no financial risk if your case is unsuccessful.

If your case is successful, you will only be expected to pay a contribution to your solicitor’s fees once the case has been resolved. The costs paid are usually a percentage of the compensation awarded and will be agreed before your case is carried out.

Find out more


Who will my claim be against?

If you suffered child abuse in care homes or a children’s home, you may be entitled to bring a case for damages against the individual who committed the abuse. It is also possible to bring a claim against the organisation that owned the home, whether it’s a local authority or privately owned, because the law states that they must assume a duty of responsibility for their employees’ actions.

If you can prove that the organisation knew what was going on, or should have known about the abuse, you may also be able to claim for negligence. This is also applicable if the service provider failed to intervene or act when made aware of any allegations.

Any settlement you receive will usually be paid by the insurance company of the organisation or through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). If you choose to make a claim, we will advise you about the best avenue to pursue.

What are the time limits for making a claim?

Although claims are supposed to be lodged before your 21st birthday, the highly-sensitive nature of these cases means that justice can still be pursued even if the offence was carried out decades ago.

At Hudgell Solicitors, we know it can take child abuse survivors a long time to come forward and we encourage them to report the abuse when they feel comfortable doing so.

Gathering evidence and speaking to potential witnesses does take time. Medical experts may also need to be consulted about the potential long-term impact of the abuse, but we will only ever speak to others with your full agreement.

Once the necessary information has been collected by our solicitors, we are confident we will be able to secure the justice you deserve.

What funding options are available?

In most cases, child abuse claims are funded on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis – so you’ll only pay an agreed percentage of any damages received.

If you provide honest and accurate instructions, and fully cooperate with us to try and win the case, you can seek redress without any financial risk to you.

Should we agree to take on your claim, we will advise you on the best way to fund your case.

"‘Living Nightmare’ of having my father in care led to my campaign for CCTV in all UK care homes."

Read More

Get in touch

Feel free to give us a call, or begin your claim online

Request a Call Begin your claim

What Our Clients Say

Start your claim