Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
About Us
Join us
Additional services
Call us on

What is a Criminal Injury Claim?

If you or a loved one falls victim to a violent crime or assault, it can be devastating. Whether you’ve been physically injured or suffered psychological trauma, you could be entitled to make a criminal injury claim from the government-run Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). Making a criminal injuries compensation claim can sometimes seem daunting. That’s why our criminal injury lawyers are trained to always handle each case with care. As one of the most experienced and knowledgeable criminal injury claims specialists in the UK, we can work closely with the CICA to work toward the compensation and justice you deserve.

Phone Icon Request a Call

No Win, No Fee CICA Claims

The CICA has helped thousands of people secure compensation for criminal injuries and provided innocent victims with the support they need to get their life back on track, whether they were subject to abuse or an assault.

While a settlement will never take away the pain and suffering caused by violent crime, it can help to cover the cost of medical treatment, some of your loss of earnings, or some short and long-term care needs. If you’ve suffered injuries which are severe, we will work to ensure you and your family receive ongoing support.

Even if the perpetrator was never identified, caught, or convicted we may still be able to obtain a settlement. With all cases pursued on a ‘no win no fee’ basis, there’s no financial risk to you – and you won’t be under any obligation to continue after your free initial consultation.

Please download a copy of our Criminal Injuries Guide.

Specialists in Criminal Injuries

If we believe you have a strong case for criminal injuries compensation, you can be assured that we will have your best interests at heart. Our dedicated team of criminal injury solicitors are wholly committed to delivering the justice you deserve.

  • Our lawyers provide a free, no-obligation consultation to help assess your claim.
  • We can assess your case with honesty, discretion and sensitivity.
  • We will keep you up to date regularly with the progress of your claim.
  • Honest advice about funding and our 'no win, no fee' arrangements.
  • Arrange for you to meet members of the criminal injury team if required.

Hudgell CICA charity partnerships with IDAS, Coram and Hull Women's Aid.

Charity Partnerships

Our Criminal Injuries compensation team is proud to partner with an established network of support organisations who can offer their expert help to those experiencing or affected by domestic abuse or sexual violence.

These include Hull Women’s Aid, Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS) and Coram.

Read more about our partnerships.

Here to help you

Looking for help and don’t know where to start? We can help you find the information you need.

Request a Call Begin your claim

Making a Criminal Injuries Claim

If you or a member of your family has come to harm as a result of criminal injury, you have a right to seek compensation for your injuries. We put your interests first, ensuring the most appropriate and effective legal specialists are handling your claim.

The first step is to get in touch using our online claim form. From here, one of our expert criminal injury lawyers will contact you for a confidential discussion of your circumstances, guiding you on the best path forward.

Our Criminal Injuries Experts

Vicky Richardson Head of Civil Liberties Read more
Nicola Bailey-Gibbs Associate, Criminal Injuries and Civil Liberties Read more
Rebecca Pick Litigation Executive, Criminal Injuries Read more
Tracy Thames Litigation Executive, Criminal Injuries Read more
Laura Wardle Litigation Executive Read more
Jade Cartwright Paralegal, Criminal Injuries Read more

Acid Attack Claims

If you or a loved one has been injured in an acid attack, it may be possible to seek legal redress for any pain or suffering caused. We can make the process of claiming for compensation straightforward so that you don’t have to worry about the implications of pursuing legal action.

Find out more here


How do I start a criminal injury compensation claim?

Whether you’ve suffered a violent assault, sexual abuse, or are making a claim on behalf of a family member, our criminal injury lawyers have years of experience in helping the victims of violent crime. They treat every case with dignity and respect.

Making a CICA compensation claim is as straightforward as getting in touch with one of our expert criminal injury lawyers for a free, no obligation consultation.

It will cost you nothing to start the process, allowing you to make an informed decision after you have all the information you need.

How much compensation will I receive for a criminal injury?

Depending on the severity of your injuries, you could be entitled to compensation ranging from £1,000 to £500,000.

If you satisfy the criteria for an award of compensation under the CICA Scheme 2012, the amount of compensation you receive will be assessed from a set tariff of awards available, depending on the type of injuries you have sustained.

What is the CICA?

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government-run organisation set up to provide compensation for blameless victims of crime.

Funded by the Ministry of Justice, the CICA awards pay-outs ranging from £1,000 to a maximum of £500,000 to people who have been mentally or physically injured due to criminal assault, as well as victims of physical and sexual abuse.

Government rules state that you might be eligible for a financial award under the CICA scheme if you were either:

  • The victim of a crime of violence or abuse.
  • Injured while taking reasonable steps to prevent a crime.
  • Psychologically damaged by witnessing a loved one become a victim of a violent crime or the aftermath.
  • Relatives may also be able to make a CICA criminal assault claim if a loved one dies as a result of a violent crime. This includes a spouse or partner, natural or adoptive parents, a parental guardian, and the children or step-children of a victim.

    For any criminal injuries compensation claim to be successful, you must have reported the incident to the police and co-operated fully with them.

    If the CICA believe you provoked or willingly participated in the incident, they can refuse your claim for compensation or reduce the amount rewarded. Your claim may also rejected, or your award reduced, if you have an unspent conviction on your record.

    The amount of compensation that can be awarded is set out in the official CICA guidelines, which states the tariffs in relation to the different injuries. However, the scheme will only pay out if your injuries exceed the £1,000 minimum tariff.

    CICA claims can only be made in England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland has its own scheme.

    What type of assault claims does the CICA handle?

    Criminal assault claims can be made to the CICA for any type of incident which has caused physical or psychological injury.

    To successfully secure compensation for being attacked or assaulted, you need to have been a victim of a crime, including:

  • Common assault
  • Assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH)
  • Assault causing grievous bodily harm (GBH)
  • Assault in a public place
  • Assault at work
  • Domestic assault
  • Assault by a security guard or ‘bouncer’
  • Criminal assault
  • Assault leading to fatality
  • Assault with a weapon
  • Sexual assault – any sexual contact without consent
  • In cases of sexual assault, a victim could have a valid case for compensation for any instance where sexual contact has taken place without consent if the details have been reported to the police. This includes stalking, touching over clothing, groping, drug-facilitated sexual assault, child sexual abuse and rape.

    How do I know if I am eligible to claim criminal injuries compensation?

    You may be eligible for compensation if:

  • You were injured in an act of violence in England, Scotland or Wales (an offender does not necessarily have to have been convicted of, or even charged with a crime).
  • You have made your application for compensation within two years from the date of the incident which caused your injuries, or within two years of reporting it to the police if the claim relates to sexual abuse. In cases involving assaults or abuse on a child, this two-year time limit starts to run when the victim reaches the age of 18.
  • This time limit may be waived if you can provide exceptional circumstances that prevented you from submitting an application earlier. For example, if you were mentally or physically incapable of dealing a claim or if you were advised by a police officer not to make a claim before the end of the criminal trial.
  • You will not be eligible for compensation if:

  • You did not report the incident to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, usually within 48 hours unless there were exceptional circumstances preventing you from doing so. Different rules apply to the reporting of sexual and domestic abuse.
  • You were injured before 1st August 1964 (prior to the scheme being established).
  • You have already applied for an award for the same criminal injury under the CICA scheme.
  • Your application could be refused if you have an unspent conviction on your record.
  • "A 44-year-old man has been awarded £29,000 damages by a Government compensation scheme despite police not having enough evidence to bring criminal charges against his"

    Read More

    The Hudgell Promise

    When we take on any case, we want you to feel reassured and confident in every aspect of your claim. That’s why we offer a service that puts your needs over and above anything else.

    Schedule our first meeting within 24 hours
    Return your phone call or email the very same day
    Reply to any letter you send us within 2 days
    Write to you every 4 weeks with updates on your case

    What Our Clients Say

    Start your claim