Experts in

Actions Against The Police


No win, no fee actions against the police claims

No win, no fee

In actions against the police cases we may offer a “no win, no fee” agreement, under which you only pay a pre-agreed percentage of the compensation awarded, if your case is successful. In some situations, you may also be eligible for legal aid cover.

Read More +

If your rights have been breached by the police

If your rights have been breached by the police

If your rights have been breached by the police, Hudgell Solicitors can help you get justice.

Our actions against police solicitors specialise in holding forces to account for infringing on your rights and stepping over the line through unlawful treatment.

Actions against the police specialists

Actions against the police specialists

If you have been a victim of any form of police misconduct that has resulted in your civil liberties or human rights being infringed, then our actions against the police solicitors can help you get the compensation you deserve.

We understand that making a decision to sue the police can feel daunting, but our experienced solicitors specialise in actions against the police and will offer support and guidance at every stage of the process.

Our lawyers will make challenging the state feel less daunting, helping you to bring action against the government and public bodies when they have acted unlawfully.

Whether your allegation relates to police sexual misconduct, being wrongfully arrested and detained, or being a victim of battery and assault, we will challenge those responsible and seek to obtain a favourable settlement for the physical injuries and psychological trauma you’ve suffered.


Successful claims against the police

Successful claims against the police

We have a dedicated team of solicitors specialising in actions against the police, and they have an excellent record of success in securing justice and compensation for those affected by police misconduct and abuse.

With an expert legal team experienced in holding public authorities to account, we empower people to sue the police and challenge authorities whose actions have impacted their civil liberties and human rights.

We will be a strong and reliable partner in your challenge against the state, doing all we can to ensure the right party is held accountable, no matter what injustice you’ve suffered at the hands of the state.

Whether your allegation against the police is because you have been wrongfully arrested and detained or you have been a victim of battery or assault, we will challenge those responsible and seek to obtain a favourable settlement for the physical injuries and psychological trauma you’ve suffered.

Police Officer CICA

Client stories

Client stories

Ensuring you get the compensation you deserve

View all
Victims of Stephen Port

Families of Stephen Port’s victims say gross misconduct investigation into Met Police officers must be ‘full and fearless’ and have ‘complete cooperation’

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has today confirmed it is investigating five current and three former Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) officers for gross misconduct. It comes as part of a re-investigation into how the deaths of Anthony Walgate, Gabriel Kovari, Daniel Whitworth and Jack Taylor were originally handled by the force. The four […]

Debbie Padley

‘My daughter should have been in hospital, not a cell’ – Inquest hears woman who died in custody may have survived had officers called for medical help

The mother of a 43-year-old woman who died when locked in a Kent Police station cell has welcomed a jury’s conclusion that police officers’ failure to ensure she was medically assessed may have cost her life. Mother-of-four Debbie Padley had been taken to Tonbridge Police Station’s custody suite following a domestic incident at her home […]

How to make an actions against the police claim

How to make a claim

Make a claim in five easy steps

Step 1

Free Initial Advice

Call us, request a callback or complete our online claim form and we will assess whether we think you have a claim.

Start my claim

Step 2


We will help you to decide how best to fund your claim. Usually, we will be able to offer you a No win, No fee agreement.

Step 3

Letter of Claim

We will send a letter to your opponent with details of your claim, setting out why we think they are at fault.

Step 4

Obtain Supporting Evidence & Expert Reports

We will request copies of any supporting documents for your claim and, if appropriate, instruct expert witnesses to provide an opinion in support of your case.

Step 5

Negotiate Settlement

We will review your opponent’s response to our letter of claim and update you on the merits of your claim and any valuation before making any settlement offers.

Start my claim


Start your claim today

Feel free to give us a call or begin your claim online

Alternatively, call us now on 01482787771

Our client reviews

Our client reviews

We’re always committed to getting the optimum outcome for you.

We were put in touch with Hudgell Solicitors through the Advocate to represent us on a pro-bono basis. They assigned Iftikhar Manzoor and he has been fantastic- very down to earth and easy to talk to. Any queries are answered quickly, and there seems to be a real understanding of concerns raised regarding the inquest of a close family member. We are so very grateful of the support they have given us so far, and extremely confident in their ability to achieve the result we hope for.
5 Stars
Imogen Greenaway
I wholeheartedly recommend the services of Hudgell Solicitors. Iftikhar Manzoors exceptional handling of our daughter's inquest showcased unwavering kindness, respect, and diligence. They provided invaluable emotional support throughout the process and, with dedication, secured the conclusion necessary for justice. Choosing Hudgell Solicitor is a decision you can trust for compassionate and effective legal representation”
5 Stars
Carole Butler
Been speaking with a lovely lady called Karolina Jedrych, she has helped me with my first Steps , making sure I’m well informed and understanding what’s happing along the way. Made me feel at ease and confident that I have chosen this team to help me . Thank you very much
5 Stars
The lady who is assisting me with my case is very helpful and understanding her name is karolina I would recommend this company without hesitation many thanks
5 Stars
Michael Parker
Chris Trousdale was the one of the youngest miscarriages of justice victims as a result of the Post Office Horizon scandal.
See more



Do I qualify to be able to sue the police?

If you believe that your rights have been infringed upon due to actions of the police, through no fault of your own, then you could fit the criteria for a civil liberties claim.

This comes down to whether the actions of the police were unlawful or crossed the line over into an abuse of power when dealing with you. We can advise you as to whether this is the case or not, and if so what legal action could be taken.

You will need to report a police officer and make a formal police complaint relevant to your claim to bring attention to your potential case. We also cannot represent anyone who currently has a criminal case brought against them and is seeking to complain against police investigation about them.

Is making a complaint against the police important before seeking legal advice?

We advise people to make a complaint to the police force or the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) here:
Some complaints will be handled by the force’s own internal professional standards department, but others may be so serious in terms of the allegations made that they have to be passed to the IOPC.

Am I eligible for legal aid?

We assess eligibility based on a personal basis so we can determine what arrangement works best for your circumstances.
We’d encourage anyone considering a claim to get in touch with our civil liberties team to discuss legal aid eligibility if this is a potential obstacle for you bringing a case forward. Our free, no-obligation consultation can help reassure you as to what the best course of action may be.

Can I sue the police for emotional distress?

Yes. Whilst it would be difficult to bring a case just based around emotional distress, it would almost certainly be a factor taken into consideration in cases relating to wrongful arrest, police assault, wrongful imprisonment and police sexual misconduct. The emotional distress of being wrongfully treated by the police, and the potential harm to reputation, would be presented as part of the case for compensation.

Can I sue the police for not investigating?

Yes, but there is a high threshold which needs to be met to pursue such cases for compensation, and to demonstrate that failings caused harm.
Only in cases where ‘serious system errors’, ‘conspicuous or substantial errors in investigation’, or ‘clear-cut operational failings’ can be proved will a civil claim against a force will be successful.
However, at Hudgell Solicitors, we believe it is important to fully investigate when police forces fail to protect as they should.
Our expert legal team has a track record of representing families in situations where loved ones have been harmed following the failure of police force’s to properly investigate people who could be a danger to the others.

How will Hudgell Solicitors help with my claim against the police?

The process begins with an initial free, no-obligation chat about your circumstances. We will provide some initial advice and discuss whether you should in the first instance lodge a formal complaint against the police or pursue a police assault compensation claim.
There is no commitment when contacting us, but it will enable our lawyers to assess whether your case can be taken forward and inform you what the next steps will be.
From here, a police claims specialist will be assigned and dedicated to supporting you through your case. Using clear, non-legal language, they will explain each step and describe what is needed from you through each stage of the claim.

Our representation will see us:

  • Carrying out initial fact-finding by discussing with you what happened, what went wrong, and the impact this has had on your life.
  • Advising on how you can report the assault using appropriate methods.
  • Request evidence including CCTV footage, witness statements, records, and more.
  • Communicate with all parties.
  • Discuss settlement agreements and possible outcomes of your case.

From here, we will help file your case and we will hold your hand throughout any court proceedings, if necessary.

Can I start a civil claim if there is an ongoing criminal investigation?

Whilst we wouldn’t typically initiate a claim while criminal proceedings are ongoing, we are happy to offer a free no-obligation consultation to discuss your options.
However, it is important to be aware that criminal proceedings take precedence over civil action so where a conviction is attained, it can be difficult to then succeed with a claim.

Speak to one of our advisors

"*" indicates required fields

Existing Client?
Marketing Preferences
Alternatively, call us now on 01482787771

Our civil liberties lawyers

Our lawyers

Local lawyers at the heart of your community

terry wilcox hudgell solicitors 1

Terry Wilcox

Civil Liberties
Group Actions
Inquests & Public Inquiries
Public Inquiry Representation



Expertise. Trust. Authority

View All

What is wrongful arrest?

UK law says that a police officer can only arrest a person if they are wanted on a warrant or if they have “reasonable belief” that someone might have been involved in a criminal offence, or be about to commit an offence, and they therefore believe it is necessary to arrest them. If you wanted […]

7 min read time

Get in touch

Feel free to give us a call or begin your claim online

Alternatively, call us now on 01482787771

On this page

Actions Against The Police

Start my claim
Start my claim