Civil Liberties Breaches And Police Misconduct

If your rights have been abused by the police or the state, Hudgell Solicitors can help you get justice. Our human rights solicitors specialise in police complaints and civil actions, holding authorities to account for unlawful actions and abuses of power that breach your freedom and liberty.

We understand that challenging the police and the state can be difficult. Our experienced solicitors will assess your case and develop a strategy to put right the state’s failings, offering support and guidance at every stage of the process.

With a high success rate in securing justice for those affected by misconduct and abuse, we empower people to challenge authorities whose actions have infringed on their civil liberties and human rights. No matter what injustice you’ve suffered at the hands of the state, our lawyers will do all they can to ensure the right party is held accountable.

For more information on making a civil liberties claim, contact our experienced solicitors today.

Our experts

Andrew Petherbridge

Lawyer and Head of Civil Liberties

Karl Griffin

Team Supervisor, Civil Liberties

Trust Pilot
trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars


The Hudgell Promise

When we take on any case, we want you to feel reassured and confident in every aspect of your claim. That’s why we offer a service that puts your needs over and above anything else.
We promise to:

  1. Schedule our first meeting within 24 hours
  2. Return your phone call or email the very same day if received before 3pm
  3. Reply to any letter you send us within 2 days
  4. Write to you every 4 weeks with any updates or information on your case

*Our promise is different for criminal injury claims


Actions Against the Police and State

Police Complaints

We support our clients in taking civil action against the police, holding the force to account for unfair and illegal treatment. Our experienced solicitors handle many police complaints, including failures individual officers have made in the line of duty. Whether you’ve been wrongfully arrested and detained or have been a victim of battery and assault, we’ll challenge those responsible and seek a favourable settlement for the physical injuries and psychological trauma you’ve suffered.

If your civil liberties or human rights have been infringed as a result of some form of police misconduct, then you may be entitled to compensation. It’s worth discussing your situation with a solicitor in confidence to find out whether you are able to make a claim.

If you have been a victim of any form of police misconduct or action which has resulted in your civil liberties or human rights being infringed then you could be entitled to compensation.

Public Law

Challenging the state in cases of public law can be daunting. Our solicitors are here to act on your behalf, bringing robust action against government and public bodies when they have acted unlawfully. We challenge the law through judicial review, seeking to secure compensation and justice for human rights breaches which have had a detrimental impact on your freedom and civil liberty. With an expert legal team experienced in holding public authorities to account, we will be a strong and reliable partner in your challenge against the state.

Latest Cases

Inquest highlights lack of police procedures to deal with vehicles on wrong side of motorways

An inquest into the death of a man killed when an elderly dementia sufferer drove his car the wrong way along motorways has highlighted a ‘deeply worrying’ lack of policies or procedures at police forces for dealing with the life-threatening
Read More

“Surely there should be policies to reduce risk, such as taking action to close off motorway entrances in the direction a vehicle is heading to reduce the number of vehicles on the road. To have no plan is appalling. They were effectively hoping it ended safely.”

Vicky Richardson