Domestic Violence & Abuse Compensation

For many victims of abuse, standing up to the perpetrator can be an intimidating prospect – especially when abuse has been inflicted by someone in a position of trust, such as a family member or friend.

In some cases crimes of such a serious nature are reported to the police immediately, but for many reasons those targeted also often suffer in silence because of the sheer the amount of physical or emotional pain inflicted.

Although domestic and family violence is more commonly associated with acts of bullying or aggressive behaviour carried out within the home, it can refer to abusive acts of a sexual nature also.

Typically, this type of abuse is committed by a partner, family member or loved one, but in some instances, particularly those where abuse has been inflicted during childhood, it may have been carried out by a family friend, neighbour or somebody a child comes into regular, unsupervised contact with.

If you, or a loved one, has suffered in this way we can help you receive justice by filing a domestic violence or abuse claim through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) – a Government initiative which aims to compensate blameless victims of crime.

Whether you’ve been the victim of physical, mental or sexual abuse; you are entitled to receive compensation for your pain and suffering.

Request A Callback

I am an existing client.

Or call us FREE on:

01482 778 463

trust pilottrustpilot startrustpilot startrustpilot startrustpilot startrustpilot star

The data you submit will only be used by Hudgell Solicitors in accordance with our privacy policy.
See full privacy policy.

Call for Free legal advice today on:

call back0805 236 984Or one of out experts can call you back
24-724 hours, 7 days a weekREQUEST A CALLBACK
Trust Pilot
trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars


Whilst our abuse claims teams support those abused by people who are employed and working in positions of trust for organisations (which are then held responsible for their actions), our CICA abuse claims specialists are able to pursue claims to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. This means claims can be pursued even if those carrying out the abuse have since died – particularly in cases where there is not an organisation at fault for failing to protect you, as was the case when we our team represented victims abused by a former GP, who died many years ago.

CICA claims can also be successful in some cases where police have not prosecuted individuals, or if the alleged perpetrator has not been found guilty in a criminal court.

We know that no amount of money can ever make up for how your life has been affected, but taking legal action can be the first step towards achieving some sort of closure.

If you’ve been abused in any way and you’re unsure what to do, don’t suffer in silence any longer – get in touch with our expert solicitors and discover how we can help you bring a CICA abuse claim.

All initial consultations are free and cases are pursued on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis so there’s no financial risk to you.

What can I claim compensation for?

Established in 1996, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is an executive agency that is administered the Ministry of Justice and funded by the taxes we all pay.

Under the CICA scheme, compensation for domestic violence or sexual abuse can be awarded for:

  • Sexual abuse
  • Pain and suffering caused by the violence and abuse.
  • Medical expenses for treatment to physical injuries.
  • Expenses for counselling or psychological injuries.
  • Loss of past or future earnings.

What are the time limits making a domestic violence or abuse claim?

We advise anyone who wishes to make a claim to the CICA, to get in touch with us as soon as possible, so we can give you professional advice about time limits and how best to protect your rights.

CICA claims should ideally be made within 2 years of the incident or abuse, or 2 years from the date of reporting the matter to the police in the case of abuse that occurred when the victim was a child. For someone who was the victim of abuse when they were a child they have until their 20th birthday to make their application. However, because this is a highly-sensitive area, where victims find it difficult to come forward, the time limits can be extended by the CICA in certain circumstances so we recommend that you take advice whatever your circumstances.

Cases can also be taken on before any related criminal proceedings have been completed, so there is no need to wait for criminal court proceedings to be completed.

Our domestic violence and abuse solicitors always recommend seeking access to justice as soon as possible.


Our experts

Nicola Bailey-Gibbs