Solicitor – Actions Against the Police (4 years+ PQE or equivalent experience)
We are an award winning Legal 500 firm with specific expertise in civil liberties, personal injury, medical negligence, abuse, criminal injuries and international travel.
We have offices in Hull, Manchester and London.
We pride ourselves on our client care and consistently achieve a score of over 9 out of 10 on Trust Pilot. We are committed to equality and diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Our Civil Liberties Team is a progressive, expanding department within the business. We cover all aspects of Actions against the Police work including claims for assault, false imprisonment and malicious prosecution.
We also bring claims against the Ministry of Justice and act in inquests and inquiries. Our modern and proactive approach to marketing ensures that we attract interesting and high quality work. Our team have been involved in high profile and ground breaking cases and continue to be at the forefront of their field.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assessing and vetting potential new claims based on information obtained by the New Claims Team.
- Running own caseload.
- Dealing with all forms of funding, including Legal Aid and CFA’s.
- Submitting applications to the Legal Aid Agency on CCMS, including applications for Exceptional Case Funding.
- Liaising with clients, counsel, defendants, the IOPC and other third parties.
- Collating and reviewing documentation and evidence.
- Obtaining medical evidence when required and reviewing and providing advice on it.
- Litigating cases.
- Actively engaging in Business Development to ensure high visibility of the department and wider company.
- A solicitor or CILEX with at least 4 years PQE or equivalent experience in Civil Liberties work.
- Meets AAP supervisor status for Legal Aid purposes.
- Experience working on publicly funded cases and making applications to the LAA.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in all aspects of a case from beginning to end.
- Practical experience of the CPR, issuing claims and litigating cases.
- Working knowledge of applicable torts and dealing with Defendants and the IOPC
- Experience of Judicial Review.
- Demonstrable ability to research, analyse and evaluate complex fact patterns, legal concepts and related issues.