Hudgell Solicitors seek an experienced Head of Costs to manage the Costs Team and function for the firm. The role can be based in either the Leeds or Hull Office. Hudgell Solicitors is a specialist personal injury and medical negligence claims firm whose growth strategy has seen it become a top-150 firm following its establishment in 1997. With thousands of clients across the country the firm has offices in London, Leeds and Hull. It has also developed a significant civil liberties practice, working on many high-profile cases and continues to grow exponentially and through acquisition.
Job Title: National Head of Costs
Reports to: Chief Executive
Standard Hours of Work: 37 per week
Salary Range (incl. benefits): £50k and upwards dependent on experience
As the Team Manager you will be responsible for the day to day operational performance and delivery of the Costs Team and function.
Scope of the Role
The Jobholder will be primarily responsible for driving the teams financial and quality performance and working with senior managers to develop, implement and deliver successful strategic and business plans, while building and maintaining relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
The Jobholder will be responsible for the costs team by allocating work to draftsmen, monitoring their chargeable time and billing activity; managing external suppliers and reviewing management information as well as dealing with internal fee-earner queries and general training of staff on all matters relating to costs.
This role will not be expected to draft bills & schedules nor negotiate settlements/conduct advocacy unless a matter is particularly difficult or a team member is off ill etc.
Principal Accountabilities / Tasks
- Deliver on, and input to, the evolving Business Plan together with associated strategic objectives, action plans, targets and individual objectives.
- Supervision of the preparation of accurate Budgets, Statements of Costs, Bills of Costs and Replies in line with the Civil Procedure Rules
- Application of both fast-track and multi-track procedures in relation to costs entitlement, summary, provisional and detailed assessment
- Promotion of excellence in the approach to settlement of costs cases by the team whether through advocacy or negotiation and utilising mediation and ADR methods where appropriate
- Constant review of departmental performance and strive to improve performance/ reduce costs.
- Contribution both strategically and tactically to assist the business achieve its overall goals within costs and the wider operation.
- Implementation of all agreed SLAs and KPIs such that they are embedded into the day to day operation.
- Encouragement in the development of best practice claims handling and time recording practices
- Development of team talent
- Management of the external panel to ensure performance of the agreed Service Level agreements (SLA)
- Contribution to the development of a suite of comprehensive Ml and performance management/ business intelligence information
Essential Skills / Attributes Required
- Experience in drafting Budgets, Bills of Costs and Replies and conducting Detailed Assessment hearings and Costs Management hearings in all types of personal injury litigation/clinical negligence litigation
- Experience in applying the CPR and case law to between the parties costs, solicitor and client costs and retainers
- Experience of legal aid franchise work
- Experience of team management including performance management and achievement of objectives..
- Ability to communicate effectively and to mentor.
- Ability to build and maintain effective professional working relationships with others.
- Commercial awareness within the legal and insurance sectors
- Member of the Association of Costs Lawyers/ regulated Costs Lawyer
- Customer focused and target driven.
- Self-motivated, using own initiative.
- Good time management and high standard of work quality.
Email covering letter, CV and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you have any questions about the role/department please feel free to contact our recruitment team at the email above and they will respond directly.