Criminal Injury

Domestic abuse crimes increase over the holidays, here’s how to seek help and advice

domestic abuse victim  survivor at home
4 min read time

According to Women’s Aid incidents of domestic abuse will rise over the Christmas holidays.

The organisation says more women reach out for support in the New Year, often after having tried to hold things together in front of family and friends during the break.

As Christmas is a time where the family are together for a sustained period of time, it can be can be a catalyst for severe and frequent incidents of violent assault, abuse and sexual abuse.

By New Year, survivors often say they cannot face another year living in fear of their partner, and that is when they reach out for help.

Hudgell Solicitors’ Criminal Injury team supports community organisations working with domestic abuse survivors and understands that domestic violence or abuse can happen to anyone, and anyone can be an abuser.

Read more: Teenager abused and stalked by boyfriend is awarded CICA compensation

Getting help and support for domestic violence and abuse

Domestic abuse includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse in couple relationships or between family members.

You do not have to wait for an emergency situation to find help. If domestic abuse is happening to you, it’s important to tell someone and remember you’re not alone.

If you decide to leave

The first step in escaping an abusive situation is realising that you’re not alone and it’s not your fault.

Before you go, try to get advice from an organisation such as: Women’s Aid or Refuge, there is also a Men’s Advice Line for men and Galop for those who identify as LGBT+.

Women’s Aid has useful information about making a safety plan that applies to both women and men.

Other ways to get support:

Women can call The Free phone National Domestic Abuse Helpline, run by Refuge on 0808 2000 247 for free at any time, day or night. The staff will offer confidential, non-judgemental information and support talk to a doctor, health visitor or midwife

Men can call Men’s Advice Line on 0808 8010 327 (Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm), or visit the webchat at Men’s Advice Line (Wednesday to Friday 10am to 11am and 3pm to 4pm) for non-judgemental information and support

Men can also call ManKind on 0182 3334 244 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm)

If you identify as LGBT+ you can call Galop on 0800 999 5428 for emotional and practical support

Anyone can call Karma Nirvana on 0800 5999 247 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) for forced marriage and honour crimes. You can also call 020 7008 0151 to speak to the GOV.UK Forced Marriage Unit

In an emergency, call 999.

You can also email for support:

It is important that you specify when and if it is safe to respond and to which email address:

Women can email [email protected]. Staff will respond to your email within 5 working days

Men can email [email protected]

LGBT+ people can email [email protected]

The Survivor’s Handbook from the charity Women’s Aid is free and provides information for women on a wide range of issues, such as housing, money, helping your children, and your legal rights.

If you are worried that you are abusive, you can contact the free Respect helpline on 0808 802 4040.

You can also find help and support for domestic abuse on GOV.UK

Read more: Many victims receive more than £25,000 in awards from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

 Making an Abuse Claim

Whether you’ve been the victim of physical, or sexual abuse, you are entitled to receive compensation for your pain and suffering. We have a team of dedicated abuse claims specialists who are able to pursue claims to The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Claims can be pursued even if there has been no conviction or even no charges brought against the perpetrator, claims can still be made if a those carrying out the abuse has since died or cannot be located or identified.

If you’ve been abused in any way and you’re unsure what to do, don’t suffer in silence any longer. The first step is to get in touch with our expert lawyers and discover how we can help you bring a CICA abuse claim.

Read more: Domestic Abuse Compensation Claims

Download guide

Seeking Justice After Criminal Injury

Your local criminal injury experts.


Related Advice

Related Advice

Expertise. Trust. Authority

View All
Criminal Injury

Criminal Injury

It often takes a great deal of courage to report a rape, sexual assault or sexual abuse to the police. Not everyone is aware that as part of the justice process, victims are entitled to seek an award from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority – or CICA for short. Listen to Tracy Thames, a CICA […]

Elder Abuse

How do our lawyers support survivors of abuse?

Who will I speak to about making an abuse claim? We know complete trust and confidence between ourselves and those we represent is one of the most important aspects of the support we provide. That is why we have a dedicated team of specialist abuse lawyers supporting those who bravely come forward to discuss the […]

4 min read time

Related News

Related News
View All
domestic abuse survivor awarded £22,000 criminal injuries compensation was successfully represented by hudgell solicitors

Woman awarded £22,600 damages for years of domestic and sexual abuse

A woman who was abused by her partner for more than a decade has been awarded damages by a Government scheme to compensate victims of violent crime – even though he was never convicted of any offence against her. The woman, of Northamptonshire, was left devastated after being told charges against her partner for coercive and controlling […]

1 min read time

On this page

Domestic abuse crimes increase over the holidays, here’s how to seek help and advice

Start my claim
Start my claim