Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
About Us
Join us
Additional services
Call us on
"I was injured in a car accident abroad" Phone Icon Request a Call
We are experts in

Road Traffic Accidents Abroad

Road Traffic Accidents Abroad Compensation Claims

No matter where in the world it happens, a road traffic accident can have a life-changing impact. If you’ve suffered a road traffic accident abroad which wasn’t your fault, our travel litigation specialists could help you claim compensation.

When you’re involved in a road traffic accident overseas, the aftermath can be difficult to deal with. The law concerning road traffic accident claims abroad differ between countries, and there’s also the language barrier to deal with, which can make the situation more complicated.

Specialists in Road Traffic Accidents Abroad Claims

Our travel litigation solicitors are experts in handling overseas personal injury claims, and will act on your behalf to bring a claim against those responsible for your accident. We work with a network of lawyers across the world, and have settled claims for accidents involving cars, HGVs, motorbikes, bicycles and pedestrians — so you’re guaranteed expert legal representation whatever your circumstances.

  • Led by Paul McClorry, member of (PEOPIL), (AAJ) and senior litigator of APIL.
  • Supported by a dedicated team of lawyers who specialise in making accidents and illness claims for people travelling abroad.
  • Our lawyers specialise in gaining access to the best possible rehabilitation support for those involved in serious accidents abroad.
  • Experienced accident and illness abroad solicitors will take the time to understand what you’re going through.
  • Leaders in securing compensation settlements and helping clients make the best possible recovery.



apil logo


We are a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, which is an organisation dedicated to improving services for victims of personal injury. Only practitioners who demonstrate expertise and credibility in this field are awarded this certificate.

Here to help you

Looking for help and don’t know where to start? We can help you find the information you need.

Making a Road Traffic Accident Claim

If you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident overseas, or a loved one has tragically passed away following an incident on a foreign road which wasn’t your fault, we’re here to help.

Our travel claims team is led by senior solicitor, Paul McClorry, who has many years of experience in handling road traffic accident claims for people travelling abroad. Whether your case is handled through a UK or foreign court, our experienced holiday claims solicitors will make sure you’re given expert help and advice throughout your claim.

Our Road Traffic Accident Experts

Paul McClorry Head of Travel Litigation Read more
Tracy Stansfield Associate, Travel Read more
Lucy Bevis Litigation Executive, Travel Read more
Anthony Hey Litigation Executive, Travel Read more
Anne Thomson Litigation Executive, Travel Read more

How much will my claim cost?

All road traffic accident abroad cases taken on by Hudgell Solicitors are handled on a no win no fee basis. This means that you will not have to pay any money up front and there will be no financial risk if your case is unsuccessful.

If your case is successful, you will only be expected to pay a contribution to your solicitor’s fees once the case has been resolved. The costs paid are usually a percentage of the compensation awarded and will be agreed before your case is carried out.


Find out more


Who can make a road traffic accident abroad claim?

If you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident while abroad, which was caused by someone else, you may be eligible to make a no win no fee compensation claim.

Before we accept your case, we’ll investigate the circumstances of the accident to establish who was responsible. You’ll normally be able to make a claim when there’s evidence to show that:

  • The accident was caused by the driver of another vehicle.
  • The accident was caused by the driver of a vehicle you were a passenger in (such as a coach, bus or taxi).
  • There was a fault with the vehicle, which should have been fixed.
  • The accident was caused by a poorly maintained road or traffic signal.
  • In circumstances where you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to claim some compensation. Contact our team today for free, no obligation advice about your claim.

    How long do I have to make a claim?

    How long you have to make a road traffic accident abroad claim will vary depending on which country you were in at the time of the incident and the law which applies to your case.

    For accidents that occur in England and Wales, you normally have three years from the date of the accident to bring a compensation claim against those responsible. However, this will not be the case if your accident took place outside of England and Wales where English law does not apply. Some countries have much shorter time periods, some as short as 6-12 months from the date of the accident.

    Our experienced travel litigation team can advise on the road traffic accident claims process for countries in the EU and around the world. We’d always recommend seeking legal advice at your earliest opportunity following an overseas road traffic accident.

    Who can I make a claim against?

    Who you bring a claim against will depend on the circumstances of the accident.

    In cases where you were involved in an accident with another car, you can claim against the driver and their insurer.

    If you were in the same vehicle as the person who caused the accident, such as a taxi, you can bring a claim against the driver and their insurer.

    If the accident took place while you were travelling onboard a coach as part of a package holiday, you can claim against the tour operator for failing in their duty of care to provide safe passage for you and your family — even in cases where the coach driver was driving recklessly.

    If insufficient signage or poorly maintained roads were to blame for your accident, we can help you bring a claim against the local authority responsible for managing the upkeep and safety of the road network.

    Our experienced holiday claims lawyers can help you claim for a road accident abroad, in many different circumstances. Call us today for free and impartial advice about your circumstances, and we’ll do our utmost to help you.

    How much compensation am I entitled to?

    The amount of compensation you receive for a road traffic accident abroad claim will depend on the severity of your injuries, and the amount of trauma and losses that the incident has caused. Our specialists will work closely with you to assess how much your claim is worth, enlisting the help of an experienced medical examiner to assess the extent of your injuries, and how much ongoing treatment you may require.

    To calculate an appropriate compensation amount, we’ll look at the following:

  • The severity of your physical injuries.
  • The psychological impact of the accident.
  • Your loss of earnings, now and in the future.
  • Your ongoing care and medical support requirements.
  • Mobility aids and any adaptations needed to your home.
  • Other financial losses.
  • What happens when I make a road traffic accident abroad claim?

    After you’ve submitted a claim to us, our solicitors will provide a free consultation to determine whether or not they’re willing to accept your case. If we do accept your case, we’ll begin the claims process, which includes:

  • Investigating your claim — To find out who was responsible, obtain details of their insurer and determine the extent of your injuries.
  • Calculate your compensation — We’ll work out how much your claim is worth by assessing the factors listed above.
  • Put your case to the other party — They may choose to accept or contest your claim, and the compensation amount.
  • Conclude your claim — Most road traffic accident abroad claims are settled out of court, but, if you do have to attend at Court, we’ll be there to provide complete support and guidance.
  • To find out more about the process of making a claim for a road traffic accident that happened abroad, get in touch with our experienced travel litigation team now.

    "10 essential steps you MUST take if you have a road traffic accident abroad."

    Paul McClorry, Head of Travel Litigation

    Read More

    Get in touch

    Feel free to give us a call, or begin your claim online

    Request a Call Begin your claim

    What Our Clients Say

    Start your claim