Child Abuse in Care Homes & Children’s Homes

Children who are looked after in the local authority care system have the right to live in a secure and caring environment.

Whether a child has been placed in care as a temporary measure or for the long term, the children’s home or care home responsible for them has a ‘duty of care’ to ensure they’re safe. In the majority of cases, young people in care say that their experiences are good.

Unfortunately, some looked-after children do not receive appropriate protection and become victims of neglect, abuse and exploitation.

Child abuse that is carried out in this type of environment usually involves sexual, physical or emotional abuse. Whether it is inflicted by another child, a staff member in a position of trust or a person from outside the home, abuse of this nature is totally unacceptable.

If you’re an adult who suffered child abuse in care homes or a children’s home during childhood, taking legal action could help you bring those responsible to justice. If your child or loved one has been abused in the care system, our child abuse solicitors will fight hard to hold the individual or organisation they worked for to account – regardless of how the abuse happened or where it took place.

At Hudgell Solicitors, we have a vastly-experienced team of child abuse specialists who can advise you on the best way to secure compensation for your suffering – even if the abuse happened years ago. Whilst we understand that no amount of money can ever heal physical or emotional scars, it may allow you to access counselling or therapy to make life more manageable in future.

If you’d like us to secure the justice you deserve, please get in touch for a free and confidential consultation. All cases are funded on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis.


Our experts

Malcolm Johnson

Senior Solicitor

Steven Walster



Call for Free legal advice today on:

call back0805 236 984Or one of out experts can call you back
24-724 hours, 7 days a weekREQUEST A CALLBACK
Trust Pilot
trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars trust-pilot-stars


Who will my claim be against?

If you suffered child abuse in care homes or a children’s home, you may be entitled to bring a case for damages against the individual who committed the abuse. It is also possible to bring a claim against the organisation that owned the home, whether it’s a local authority or privately owned, because the law states that they must assume a duty of responsibility for their employees’ actions.

If you can prove that the organisation knew what was going on, or should have known about the abuse, you may also be able to claim for negligence. This is also applicable if the service provider failed to intervene or act when made aware of any allegations.

Any settlement you receive will usually be paid by the insurance company of the organisation or through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). If you choose to make a claim, we will advise you about the best avenue to pursue.

What are the time limits for making a claim?

Although claims are supposed to be lodged before your 21st birthday, the highly-sensitive nature of these cases means that justice can still be pursued even if the offence was carried out decades ago.

At Hudgell Solicitors, we know it can take child abuse survivors a long time to come forward and we encourage them to report the abuse when they feel comfortable doing so.

Gathering evidence and speaking to potential witnesses does take time. Medical experts may also need to be consulted about the potential long-term impact of the abuse, but we will only ever speak to others with your full agreement.

Once the necessary information has been collected by our solicitors, we are confident we will be able to secure the justice you deserve.

What funding options are available?

In most cases, child abuse claims are funded on a ‘No win, no fee’ basis – so you’ll only pay an agreed percentage of any damages received.

If you provide honest and accurate instructions, and fully cooperate with us to try and win the case, you can seek redress without any financial risk to you.

Should we agree to take on your claim, we will advise you on the best way to fund your case.